GO!

FLEAS! Last Resort! HELP!!!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Walter

Little Pumpkin- with A Little- Spice

Barked: Tue Aug 12, '08 10:11pm PST 
I was living in Florida for about 2 years, and ended up having to shave my pomeranian as a last resort to get rid of the HORRIBLE flea problem that i had. I tried everything! His vets couldn't figure it out! We finally just accepted that the area that we lived (apt. complex with lots of pets), just happened to be more flea ridden than most.

Walter was shaved three times during the duration of our time there. We moved back to MN, and the frontline, and pill (don't remember what it was called--anti inflamatory that instantly kills fleas & eggs) worked. No more fleas in the last year.

NOW. We are moving BACK to Florida, and this time with a new (human) baby that will be crawling very soon. We cannot use the chemicals that we once did to bomb the house, bedding, dog. SO. I feel EXTREMELY bad because I am going to have to shave him again, I'm afraid. That is the only thing that even helped with the flea prob in the past.

I have read enough to know that it is not wise to shave a pom, but what else??? I have to be proactive about this, or Walter's daddy might decide that Walter needs a new home, if he brings fleas in with the new baby.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???
[notify]
Tutu - CGC/TDI

Tuff Fluff!

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 11:28am PST 
Are you moving to a house or apartment. I know that the grass can br treated to get rid of the fleas out there and after 1/2 a week to a week it is safe for pets and kids (if you have a front and back yard you can rotate treatments). Between that and the frontline or sentinal you should be able to stay flea free.

Mom says KY was the same way but I wasn't alive when mommy lived down there.
[notify]
Cooper

Mommys pretty- little boy

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 11:32pm PST 
I live in Florida, and yes the fleas here are horrible! Have you tried advantix? I find it works really well. Plus it repels mosquitos, here that's a big plus! Ever since I started using it, I haven't found a single flea. I have used frontline and I didn't have very good results.
[notify]

~Sophie~

I also answer to- 'Pretty Girl'

Barked: Fri Aug 15, '08 7:44pm PST 
Were you using Frontline in Florida and it didn't work? Or you didn't start using it til afterwards? shrug

Try the Advantix and use it year round, it has worked very well for Sophie. way to go
[notify]
Dookie

Barked: Wed Sep 17, '08 3:45pm PST 
Hi walter, I had the same problem with dookie. I live in a complex where there are a lot of stray cats hanging about. After a walk, he would be covered in fleas. So through a lot of research on the efficacy and safety of garlic, I decided to try it. It totally worked! The fleas avoid him now.

I use freshly minced garlic (about 1/8 of a teaspoon) mixed with a pinch of yeast and freeze dried beef (for palatability) every second or third day. Check your dog's tongue occasionally after feeding, if it is hotter than usual and stinks of garlic then you should cut down on the amount you are feeding.

If you are uncomfortable with feeding your dog garlic or want added precaution, then you can make a necklace of pierced garlic cloves for him to wear. Also rub exposed garlic to his paws, stomach, and hind legs.

Still be sure to check for flea feces and eggs before bringing your dog into the house.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
[notify]