GO!

I am a horrible dog owner

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Dec 12, '11 10:56pm PST 
Yup thats me. I have 3 dogs plus one more just for fun.
I spayed Sabi(oh the horror) and I haven't spayed Shadow (terrible woman I am) and I BREED Bud (what a wretched person I am) or rather I allow breeders who have compatible lines to use him (that's even worse).
My dogs never go to the dog park (I live in one)are seldom socialized (poor deprived babies)and are allowed to play only where I choose.
I feed them a food with(gasp)corn in it and I vaccinate(poison) but on my schedule not the vets (just irresponsible). AND I give them table scraps (oh no!)
And the worst is yet to come. I have no training style!
I know, I know call it a fear of commitment I just can't decide which one of my dogs I want to ruin. Sabi was such a doll and mastered manners with no training but sucks at obedience and is conversationally trained. Bud is the "walk softly" dog. Star obedience but you need a firm hand and he has no common sense. Both of them use english, german and hand signs. And then there is Shadow who is totally instinctive. Any commands have to be coaxed, I cannot correct so I redirect, so sensitive that a jaw or hand clenched in frustration will send her into a frenzy. I just don't know which one I don't care about.
And you know once I made a mistake. I tried to be like the perfect people who never make mistakes but alas I failed. I do not understand how the hundreds of dogs that have gone through my home have survived.
I thought my dogs were happy, they certainly look happy as they fetch me from my warm bed every morning to go for three seperate walks and then come home finally and cook breakfast, for them not me. They seem downright gleeful as I walk around the yard bag in hand and pick up poop and the vacum that I run for 40 minutes everyday seemed vastly amusing. But I have been educated! These dogs are miserable no doubt about it. They need to socialize apparently there are not enough of them here. They need to be trained properly, in a class, by a trainer who has a METHOD. They need much more expensive food and if I cannot afford that they should definitely be rehomed because I am irresponsible clearly. No it doesn't matter if they have allergies or are sensitive to some things. All that matters is it can't have corn. Oh and I work sometimes all day, if I loved my dogs I would stop that. Clearly they are suffering when I leave them all day. I can tell by the dog hair on the couch and the nose prints on the TV. The first step is admitting you have a problem. I am a horrible dog owner.
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Tue Dec 13, '11 12:47am PST 
Sabi, I feel like you need a hug! hug
But you're right, first step is admitting you have a problem. wink
Now give those poor 'deprived' pups a cuddle! It'll make all you feel better.

Anyway, I totally get what you are saying. Sometimes I feel like a horrible owner, because sometimes I feel like I'm trying my best but it's still just not good enough. confused

Edited by author Tue Dec 13, '11 1:01am PST

[notify]
Farrah- ♥12/9- 7-3/06

I love Bosco,- Jack & GR

Barked: Tue Dec 13, '11 3:46am PST 
I'm not sure where that is coming from, but it sounds like you are a great parent and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There are so many "people" out there, who think the extreme, when it comes to caring for pets. From what it sounds like, you ate doing everything right. It also takes money to raise pets...of any kind. If people are telling you this, just respond back "Well then let me tell you how to raise your kids". They will shut up so fast. *hugs to you*. hug
[notify]

Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Tue Dec 13, '11 9:00am PST 
It's coming from forum discussions not targeted at the OP (afaik) where dogsters or mainly me agree that overvaccination, early spay/neuter, feeding heavy grains, and BYB and mills are not good things. Go figure.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Dec 13, '11 10:15am PST 
It was kind of a joke, kind of a rant. Adam certainly not directed at you.smileSome woman informed me yesterday that I had no business breeding Bud. I told her he had a much better pedigree then her and someone had allowed her to breed.laugh out loudI grow weary of everyone having an opinion when my dogs are obviously well loved. I seek help and sometimes comfort from other dog lovers and when I find better ways or means I use them. Some days it just feels like everything is wrong.
I absolutely agree that over vaccinating and early spay/neuter are not good, sometimes necessary but not good. I have exhausted my bank account and several others fighting to shut down puppymills in the area. When the laws fail us as they always do we try to at least improve conditions to minimize suffering.

Edited by author Tue Dec 13, '11 10:26am PST

[notify]
Tyson

Ball?! Did- someone say- BALL?!!!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 13, '11 11:08am PST 
You know, Sabi, I see your posts all over Dogster. Sometimes, I agree with you and other times I don't but I have NEVER thought you were a horrible dog owner. As for your comment to the rude lady yesterday, good for you. The ONLY time I have ever told anyone to not breed their dog is one time with some very dear friends of ours. They do not know about pedigrees, do not have their dog titled and I am seriously concerned about her health.

The reason for my concern is that she looks like a walking skeleton. They maintain that they feed her as much as she wants and that her mother didn't put any weight on until she delivered pups. She is a German Shorthaired Pointer. I don't know if this is a breed thing but I'm guessing not as any of the GSP's that I've ever seen look healthy. They may have a few ribs showing (that's healthy and normal) but not all. I have since decided not to talk to them about their dog as, ultimately, it isn't my business. I just have a very hard time believing that she'll magically gain weight if she has a litter.

But I digress, I think you should just keep on keeping on. There will always be someone with too big a mouth (sometimes even me) and too many opinions on everything. I do to opinions what I do to advice, take what works and leave the rest.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Dec 13, '11 1:48pm PST 
Oh I feel you, Sabi. The bf's housemate's mother is convinced we're both horrible animal abusers. Every time she comes to the house she threatens to call animal control.

Why? Because the bf doesn't have a yard and keeps his dog in his room with him. Apparently it's abusive to keep "a big dog like that" in his room. He must have a rare kind of GSD that hates being with its owner 23 hours a day. And yes, he does exercise the dog multiple times a day so it's not like it never leaves the room.

And I'm a horrible monster because I put my puppy in a crate when I'm not home- oh I'm sorry, I mean a "prison". I guess it would be more humane to leave him in the car when it's 100 F outside. Or to leave him running loose in my house and risk him eating something dangerous or chewing up electrical cords.

Never mind the thousands of dollars I've spent on food, vets, classes, supplies, and gas driving him around in the less than five months I've had him. Or the hundreds of hours I've spent training and exercising him, driving him to classes over an hour away, and spending my weekends taking him everywhere I possibly can for socialization. He sleeps on my bed with me but the fact that I crate him for a few hours a week makes me an unworthy dog owner.

It's extremely irritating to be told you're not doing enough when you're doing everything you can and more. Especially when you know the person accusing you spends way less time and money on their dog than you do.

Oh well, I guess we can be horrible dog owners together laugh out loud
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Tue Dec 13, '11 1:50pm PST 
Sabi, your post made me laugh!

I know it was full on facetious and I loved it! If what you are doing is working for you, then for goodness sake, keep doing it! And don't let anyone else bully you into doing what is on their agenda.

Just found out yesterday that of all things, Mickey is NOT allergic to corn. His terrible allergies are to pork, chicken and turkey, Wheat, barley & rye (guess he won't be drinking any beer or liquor, huh?) and to pretty much everything in our back yard.

So, now, he gets corn and I'm proud and happy to pick up all the corn poopies I find!laugh out loud
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Tue Dec 13, '11 6:56pm PST 
Sabi I made my reply because you had said to one of my replies in a post about nutrition "I can't believe I'd agree about something Adam said" I had never done anything to you or critisised your ways about how you care for your dogs. But it's silly for me to care about that still, though I'm not sure why you would have said that.

If I can comment about what the woman said? I asked a thread in the health forum about is it ok to question breeders. I ended up, after reading everyone's input, that most of the time we'd do more harm than good. And the way that woman said "you shouldn't breed" is rude and would have the opposite effect of what she hoped I guess. I have some belief that everyone needs to look out for everyones dog besides our own..um like good citizens law kind of laugh out loud But no way would I tell anyone they can't or shouldn't.
[notify]
Isaac - ADOPTABLE!

Adopt me! I want- a forever home!

Barked: Tue Dec 13, '11 9:27pm PST 
After a visit with my parents, I am feeling like a horrible person in general, and I didn't even do anything!

Anyway, I don't think it's anyone elses business what I feed my dogs, how long I walk them, what training method I use, whether or not they're spueterd, or vaccinated(or not), etc.... and it's wrong for folks to think that if a dog owner does or doesn't do any of those things that they are horrible people. I just can't win in the dog world, no matter what I do or say, someone out there thinks I'm wrong!

meditate
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8