GO!

Tell me why I shouldn't...

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Pookie

plush destroyer

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 9:00pm PST 
Tell me why I shouldn't own a parrot. Or, I should say, the cons of owning a parrot in general. Cleanup, noise, the mess, time, whatever it is true bird lovers put up with that the average joe would get rid of a bird for. I'm trying to keep myself away from getting one, but my self control is questionable at times. smile

And yes, I realize this is not a bird forum, but I figure some dogsters must have birds and I haven't the faintest knowledge of any existing bird forums.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Aug 17, '11 6:27am PST 
Parrots can outlive you. Who will take care of a crotchety old bird when you die?
Parrots are sometimes wild-caught, so ethical issues abound.
You can not simply "board" a parrot when you go on vacation.
I love parrots also, but don't think I could own one.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Aug 17, '11 8:06am PST 
Don't they shed a dander that can affect people's breathing if you don't have proper ventilation or is that only if you have lots of them?
[notify]

Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Wed Aug 17, '11 7:04pm PST 
Exotic vets are VERY expensive, and not all exotic vets have avian experience so you may have to drive quite a distance to get to one that does.
Supplies are expensive.
They're loud, obnoxious, and destructive to themselves and your home when bored (which they get very easily).
You need to include them in your will.
They are very dirty so their cage, cage accessories, and area surrounding the cage requires constant cleaning sometimes multiple times a day.
They require an insane amount of attention and care.
They are not domesticated animals.
Last but not least- It's only a matter of time before you get bitten and that sh... HURTS!!!! Some can even easily take your fingers off.
[notify]
UKC Ch- Endless- Waltz de- Nanrox

<(-How do you- Dew?-)>

Barked: Thu Aug 18, '11 5:39am PST 
Jewel is right, I had a friend who ended up having to re-home all her rescued Budgies as they were killing her asthma.

Also, they can "turn" on you or your family. This is one of the most common reasons people have to give up their birds. Our Conure can NOT be out of his pen during the weekends while my father is here, nor while guest are around, he has drawn blood on his raged attacks at the people he does not like. I'm one of only two people in this house who can even handle him and I do get attacked, he simply backs down or does it sneakingly because he knows I wont put up with it, but he still finds times to dive-bomb me in the back of the head.

Also, you say "parrot", do you realize most parrots are large enough to remove fingers when they get even a little upset or spooked? There are smaller varieties and I would recommend them first, and the larger ones absolute last, if at all.

If you are h*** bent on getting any bird I have two suggestions, one would be to go small, Cockatiel's are one of the best choices, or an African gray. After doing some heavy looking and talking to people we are quite upset in not going with a Gray, do some looking up on them.

And last but not least, if you really still have any doubts about getting a parrot/bird, my personal suggestion of the absolute BEST PET BIRD EVER, get a chicken! BEST EVER! You can NOT beat the love and companionship I get from my ever beloved feathered friends Furry and Punky! IMO, Fur is the absolute cutest most adorable thing next to dogs, there is nothing else like going out in the morning for a Furry hug-
Furry chicken

And overall, even half of our Roosters are FAR better "pets" than our Conure! Here is Bellissimo:
Mo-Mo
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Thu Aug 18, '11 8:43am PST 
omd I LOVE chickens!!! I hope I can have some someday cloud 9
[notify]
Pookie

plush destroyer

Barked: Thu Aug 18, '11 8:55am PST 
Yea I know and have considered all of the things mentioned already. What I'm more curious about is the stuff you would never find much detail about online. Like how many hours are dedicated to your bird, how much your lifestyle changed, exactly how destructive they can be, the issue of bird poop, etc. General info I know. When I'm financially ready and still want a bird I'll be looking at CAGs primarily, quakers, eclectus, and ringnecks. I'm hoping to get a talker, and yes I know not all of them will talk. I know it didn't sound like it with my OP, but I've been tossing the idea around for over a year and been doing research on and off. So if folks would share their personal experiences that would be awesome. smile

Edited by author Thu Aug 18, '11 8:57am PST

[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu Aug 18, '11 10:58am PST 
I don't know much anything about keeping parrots except that long time ago I'd already ruled them out, but people who kept parrots I knew in TW, would take them out on strolls in their cages so the parrots could look and be stimulated.

Also, they would sometimes take their parrots flying with some sort of safe tether.

Based on that I guess, though I'm sure OP, you already know, that they aren't nice little home birds that'd be satisfied sitting in a cage and being fed. I guess they are pretty interactive critters and need a whole lot of stimulation to feel happy.

They sure are beautiful, though..
[notify]
UKC Ch- Endless- Waltz de- Nanrox

<(-How do you- Dew?-)>

Barked: Thu Aug 18, '11 1:42pm PST 
Personal experience, how he has changed out lives. Well, to say the truth, we aren't good "birdie parents", at all. Sadly Mo spends most of his life in his cage, even on a weekday. He attacks the dogs. His poop has RUINED our front door, he will actually squirt it out of his pen onto the door and what you can't get off with cleaning, you end up taking some of the paint off with it. He likes fresh fruit, to which he takes bits off, chews them then throws it on the walls, ruined some more walls with it, but at least those walls were eventually coming down anyway. Oh, and those same ones we had at one point put up wall paper, and he decided the apples on it were too real to resist, more wall paper went up and his cage got moved.

Window frames! can't forget those, he chewed up a VERY large portion of a window frame, thankfully those were eventually getting replaced too. And a table! He's been chewing up a VERY high valued antique table, one reason he is kept inside a lot, if he can't be watched he is in trouble.

Oh, and that NASTY "feeding behavior", he "feeds" (throws up) everything, from his toys, to the salt shaker on the table, talk about embarrassing. Even more, his toy humping problem, we solved that and most of his bored screaming by giving him a box to play in. We go through about 3-7 boxes a week, at least we try to save by buying in bulk, then he gets the box. But really, try explaining that one to guests.

He's pretty much unable to be handled, why he doesn't have his feathers clipped, although I don't think I'd want it anyway with his dog aggression. He really to me, just isn't that pleasant or appealing anymore, we just put up with him and he seems happy enough with food, toys, and boxes. After his owner died we just made a promise to keep him as happy and comfortable as possible. As long as he isn't attacking someone, he isn't to bad to live with, and manages to entertain himself when he can't be out.

Oh, and of coarse he ends up being one of those "non-talking breeds", but he does make some cute noises, laughing, mimicking drinking, mimicking digital buttons like the phone and microwave, he gives "kisses", almost says something that sounds like "thank you" when you give him stuff, and "hi". Wish I could get the cute stuff on video, sadly for as much as he likes my big DSLR, he HATES my little one that take videos.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Aug 19, '11 8:57pm PST 
I've only had one pet I regret getting and that's my bird. I had Budgies for a few years and they were very sweet. Now, like Enda, I have a Sun Conure. Getting him was not an impulse decision. He was expensive, the cage was expensive, the toys were/are expensive, he eats the best food available. I spent close to $1000 just in initial, first day costs.

At first everything went really well. I hand fed him for a couple weeks as he transitioned onto solid food so we were pretty bonded. He was sweet, not overly loud, loved to be handled. Then he hit birdy puberty and he became a royal terror. Suddenly he seemed to hate me. Could not be handled at all and loud as all get out.

And when I say loud, I mean LOUD. It's the kind of thing where you can hear it a few times and it's whatever. But when the bird is screaming constantly, in your house, throwing food everywhere, it's a different story. And God help you if you have neighbors nearby. I don't but I can imagine if I did they would not be very happy.

I won't lie, I could have tried harder to work through it and get back the bond we had but frankly I wasn't interested in being bit the s**t out of and having my ear screamed in. So now I have a wild, LOUD, impossible to handle bird. The only person he'll let handle him is my mother and she doesn't have much time for him. So I have to drop tons of money on new toys to keep him entertained. And bird toys are not cheap, at all.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2