GO!

How old is old?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Annie

Barked: Fri Aug 8, '08 5:40am PST 
My mother in law has a miniature Schnauzer who is about 8 yrs old, she has had one litter of puppies about 6yrs ago, one tie & she had 2 puppies, in my opinion, after 7yrs old for any dog (I have yorkies), they would be too old to breed/have puppies. To me its like a 56 yr old woman trying to have a child. She broke the news to me yesterday that they bred her with another schnauzer a couple days ago & not once but twice within a 12 hr period. I told her it wasnt a good idea, but if it did happen to take extra pre caution during her pregnancy. What do you guys think? Am I right? What advice would you give me so I can rely back to her? My idea is, feed her cottage cheese daily, & then I would think take her to the vet in a couple weeks to make sure shes ok to have those puppies on her own. Please tell me what else you think. Im not a very happy daughter in law/ dog lover right now!

Edited by author Fri Aug 8, '08 5:41am PST

[notify]
Cody

I love to learn- new tricks :)

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 4:02pm PST 
I am no expert...but that does seem older to be breeding her. I wouldn't do it if it were me. I don't blame you for being upset at all. Please keep me posted on how things go.

Hugs!!
Teresa....Cody's mamma
[notify]
Maxx

sugar and- pepper!

Barked: Tue Sep 16, '08 1:03pm PST 
I knew a very responsible schnauzer breeder who bred her girls a few times, then when they were 4 years old, she would have them spayed and adopt them out to regular homes. This sounded like a good plan to me (dogs were still young, but leash trained and housetrained, etc.)
[notify]