GO!

Itchy Dog

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Lucy Rupert

The Pillow- Princess

Barked: Sun Apr 22, '07 8:41am PST 
Lucy has become increasingly itchy - particularly on her lower back. If we aren't rigorously scratching her - she's running under the bed back and forth getting her scratch on.

Is there anything we can do to help her? We don't want to bathe her more frequently (1/mo) because that would dry her out and make it worse. We use Frontline for fleas.

We feed her Natural Balance dry & canned mixed. (not the recalled product). Thanks!
[notify]
In Memory of CodyDunnit

Give me rats or- give me death!

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '07 6:54pm PST 
Are you putting any flea control on her? If so she could be having a reaction to that. Also, you may try going to an allergy food. Try California Natural, Eagle Pack Holistics, or home cooking.
[notify]
Princess Fiona

The Energizer- Bunny. I keep- going...

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 8:41pm PST 
Have you always used Frontline? Did you recently change dog food, or shampoo? Is she under alot of stress?

Frog lost all her hair after my niece was born the vet said it was a food allergy. So we tried different foods, When my niece was about three Frog's hair grew back, and she was eating the original food.

I would suggest trying a different food. There are so many good ones it is had too choose. Write now I feed Fifi Innova Evo Red meat formula. It is grain free (many allergies come from grains, I believe) and she loves it. She will choose it over a treat.
[notify]

SADIE

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '07 10:31am PST 
we give our 2 JRT's omega-3 pills. It is supposed to help with itchy skin and shedding. Sadie has really dry skin and she used to scratch a lot. It seems to help.
[notify]
~Buster~

Sniff it!

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 9:04pm PST 
You know one time I had that because of a recent change in laundry detergent. If that doesn't help...

It's allergy season and I have been really itchy too. I keep biting my paws and rolling on the carpet. Try some benadryl. You can stick it in with some cheese or something.

That's all the personal experience I have had, but I have never had ticks, fleas, heartworm, or anything like that so I would just check with the vet cause I'm not a pro. So just try the benadryl. It should make your dog a little sleepy, so give it to him b4 bed. Good Luck!
thinkingwishes
[notify]
Bane Zany

BANE

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 9:39pm PST 
when you give you dog benadryl do you give him infants, childrens or regular?? and do you give him it by their weight? my dog is an itchy dog.. ive gone to the vet and they gave him a shot but it just returns after a few weeks... i changed shampoos to an organic with tea tree oil in it and ive changed his food to an organic food with no chicken, whea,t or corn. because i heard it causes itchy dry skin. but it has only helped a little.. sometimes he will itch himself in one spot until his hair gets thin and i have to put a collar on him.. i dont like to put it on him but i have no choice.. what shall i do?

frownshrug
[notify]
Jack

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 9:12pm PST 
My pup would itch and itch and he started gnawing in spots and his hair left him and so i took him in and come to find out he had red mite mange!!
[notify]
bea- (beatrice)

sweet bea

Barked: Fri May 16, '08 7:22pm PST 
my jack russell is itchy also. i don't bath her as often as i used to. probably only once every 3 months, but she gets washed up with a washcloth between times and brushed. less baths has really helped alot. there is a dry powder shampoo for dogs called perfect coat, i have it but haven't tried it yet. she also is given claritan every day during allergy season. just started giving it to her again this april, as that is when she started rolling around itching her back, licking her front feet and rubbing her face on the rug. one claritan cut into 4 pieces (not very easy to do!) i give it to her regularly while it is allergy season. she seems to have the same allergies as i do. so when i start feeling it in the spring i know she does too. hartz also makes a hydrocortisone spray. i spray it on a comb and comb it over her itchy back. a humidifier helps with dry skin in the winter. i guess you can try just about everything that helps us humans if your veterinarian approves! always check with them first.
[notify]