GO!

sardines

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Ralphie

The Ralphinator

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '14 7:05am PST 
Does anyone here add sardines to their dogs diet? I don't see anyone here mentioning them. Assuming you buy water packed, they're cheap, full of calcium and omega 3s. Ralph loves them! He hasn't many teeth anymore (had many pulled due to jaw structure), but this is one of the calcium sources he can chew on. He used to eat a RAW diet, but he just can't chew bones well enough anymore (although this morning I caught him trying to eat a dead frozen mouse outside. Thankfully he hadn't gotten into it too much, for all I know it died from rat poison from the neighbours!)
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '14 9:38am PST 
Not cheap around here! Even regular ones are much more expensive per pound than raw meat and low sodium sardines cost the earth. And Max is allergic to them so no sardines here.

Good that he likes them. I'd much prefer to feed low sodium canned fish than fish oil but the cost gets me. Remember the calcium in there only balances the sardines, there isn't enough extra to balance anything else.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Tue Mar 11, '14 1:12pm PST 
bump
[notify]

Flicka ~ CGC

Barked: Tue Mar 11, '14 1:13pm PST 
The ones canned in water have a far lower sodium content.. and are cheap....and you wont be feeding them by the bucket anyway !
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Wed Mar 12, '14 6:44am PST 
Market Basket sells whole, flash-frozen sardines and small mackerel for between $2.30/lb and $3.60/lb, depending on size and market price. My dogs get 2 or three of them a week and they LOVE them!
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

Barked: Sat Mar 15, '14 1:40pm PST 
bump
[notify]
Hershey

Frisbees, sticks- and leaves oh- my!

Barked: Sat May 3, '14 7:40pm PST 
bump
[notify]