GO!

Low glycemic recipes

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Indi

Top Dog

Barked: Tue May 22, '12 7:06am PST 
Has anyone ever run the LG recipes from b-naturals through nutritiondata?

I have been trying but can't get it to work on my computer. About to pull my hair out.

Have a computer savvy friend who will help me when he has time to do it.

Also, I'm not sure how to go about entering the supplements.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue May 22, '12 9:21am PST 
If you are using the B-Naturals supplements you could ask for the detailed analysis of them. I don't know if they are available or not. Then you can enter each into My Foods under Add New Food and go to custom data entry. Figure 100% = 100 grams so 2.5% = 2.5 grams or 2500 mg. If a food has 3 grams per kilogram than move the decimal point over, 3 grams = 3,000 mg so 3 grams per kilogram would be 1 kgm = 10x100 grams so there would be 300 mg or .3 grams in 100 grams of the food. And before you ask, yes my brain regularly gets fried good and proper doing this!

Here is one I did for THK Preference this week. I easily could have made a mistake somewhere, always check to make sure something that looks odd is done correctly.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/2556713/2
Th is is the page where I got the information.
http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/201 2/03/Preference-Nutrient-Profile.doc.pdf
[notify]
Indi

Top Dog

Barked: Tue May 22, '12 10:27am PST 
Thank you Maxwell. That will help me a lot when I get this darned computer to cooperate.smile

An immediate question in my mind is the amount of liver in the recipes. 4 oz. to l lb. of meat seems like a lot, but is it because it is cooked? The dogs are all doing very well on these recipes, and they have been a wonderful, healing Godsend to my diabetic dobie, but the more I study, the more this question keeps popping into my mind.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue May 22, '12 4:20pm PST 
Remember though, that is just one recipe to rotate in, other recipes haven't any liver. Don't feed just one of those recipes! The one with heart is super high in iron, great but not for exclusive feeding.

I would have been very uncomfortable feeding that way coming straight from kibble but now I have been feeding fresh food to Max for 5 years I think the basic framework of his diet is stuck well enough in my head to feed a variety of different meals but I probably wouldn't.

My version of low glycemic would be 75% mostly red meat with 5% of that amount being beef liver and 10% being fatty fish and a couple of eggs a week tossed in just because eggs are good. I would stick a couple oysters in because otherwise there wouldn't be enough zinc for Max as he doesn't get much food. The rest would be 25% by weight cooked and pureed low calorie veggies in variety. Probably would offer celery, lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, asparagus, zucchini, cucumber, pepper as we eat those veggies all the time and he could have the trimmings since they will be pureed anyway. I would choose to use bone meal rather than egg shell and I would probably cook it all into a mush and freeze in daily or 2 day sized bins but of course you can just take those ingredients and make up recipes that appeal to you.
[notify]
Indi

Top Dog

Barked: Tue May 22, '12 6:08pm PST 
Thank you for those tips Maxwell. I know you have put a lot of study into feeding not only home cooked dog food, but a variety of feeding methods and I highly respect your advice.

I so appreciate your taking the time to explain all of that for me.

Once I am able to actually do an analysis I'll try to come back to this and we can compare notes.
[notify]