GO!

best low fat chicken/turkey cooking methods

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Cousteau

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 8:13am PST 
(Cousteau's mom)--
Hi,
I've been cooking a low fat diet for Cousteau because he's hyperlipidemic. However, I'm not an experienced cook and I want to make sure I'm using the right methods. What's the best way to cook his chicken breast and turkey so that I preserve nutrients and don't add fat? My oven is gas and doesn't really have a broil option...

Should I bake using non-stick cooking oil? Olive oil? Any tips are welcome, thanks!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 8:36am PST 
Without going to nutritiondata.com and comparing nutrients in meats cooked different ways I suspect gently poaching the meat then putting the cooking liquid in a cup and refrigerating until the fat can be skimmed off would be the lowest fat method that would preserve nutrients. Use that defatted cooking liquid, 8 ounces of chicken stock is about equivalent to an ounce of raw chicken in nutrients! If you roast it the juices would be in the browned stuff that includes fat. Guess you could deglaze the pan with water, put that in the refrigerator and remove the fat but while adding loads of flavor it would be more work and the higher heat isn't as good for preserving nutrients.
[notify]
Cousteau

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 2:21pm PST 
Thanks Maxwell! That sounds like a good idea. That way I can also make some veggies in there.
[notify]

Maxwell

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 5:45pm PST 
Sure hope the new diet helps, that high fat in the blood sounds very worrisome!
[notify]
Jasmine,- Chase,- Maggie

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 8:09am PST 
One of the methods Monica Segal recommends is to boil the meat and then rinse well to help get rid of extra fat.
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 10:21am PST 
If you work, you could also use a slow cooker, then chill the broth and remove the fat before serving both meat an broth. The low temp would also help reduce nutrient loss.
[notify]
Java

When in doubt,- sit and be cute.

Barked: Thu Mar 31, '11 7:55am PST 
what kind of chicken stock do you recommend?
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Thu Mar 31, '11 9:52am PST 
The water the chicken cooks in becomes a nice stock. Take the meat out and bone/chop it, put the stock in the refrigerator to chill so you can take off all the fat if you must feed low fat.

Low fat isn't good for most dogs! Dogs with hyperglycemia and pancreatitis need to watch the fat taken in but healthy dogs need lots of fat.
[notify]