GO!

Liver Treat Recipe

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Bogie

Have cats -- Will Chase!

Barked: Mon Feb 7, '11 7:56am PST 
This is a very forgiving recipe, easy to throw together, freezes well, keeps in the fridge several days & dogs LOVE it!

1# liver
1 egg (can use shell and all!)
6-10 garlic cloves, peeled
1 c. cornmeal
1 c. flour (whole wheat preferable)

Puree all in a food processor. Lightly grease cookie sheet with sides and spread batter in it (will be thin). Cook @ 350 for 20 minutes or until getting dry and firm. Cool, cut into desired sizes. Freeze in baggies and thaw what you need.

Can also vary ingedients by adding: unsweetened applesauce, shredded zucchini/carrot, carob powder, yogurt, brewers yeast, etc. Just as long as you keep the proportions of wet/dry ingredients the same.

Deb C.

Edited by author Mon Feb 7, '11 12:37pm PST

[notify]
Stewie

On the Look Out

Barked: Mon Feb 7, '11 12:25pm PST 
would just like to say: That seems like A LOT of garlic.

Garlic is one of those things that are toxic to dogs. Some people use garlic powder in very small amounts which is usually fine but using fresh garlic is not recommended (and if you do, only in small amounts).

sorry to rain on your parade silenced sounds like a fun recipe otherwise, personally I would substitute the garlic for something else.

unless you have done research to say otherwise, please enlighten me...
[notify]
Bogie

Have cats -- Will Chase!

Barked: Mon Feb 7, '11 12:36pm PST 
You can certainly leave the garlic out with no problem or substitute garlic powder. However, see this article: http://www.healthy.net/scr/Article.aspx?Id=2521 and scroll down to read about garlic.

As one would be using these in limited quantities for training/treats -- I doubt your dog would be eating enough garlic to endanger him/her. But, that's just my opinion for what it's worth--LOL!
[notify]