GO!

Loss of Nutrients?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Bonnie

herp durp

Barked: Tue Jan 18, '11 1:15am PST 
Hi.

Sorry if this is a silly question. I have been researching raw diet but for the time being I live with my parents and they are just not keen on the idea, so I would like to learn more about homecooked.

How do you make up for the nutrients that are lost from meat when you cook it? You can't give cooked bones so where do they get calcium? I'm really not a fan of giving my dog vegetables as dogs are carnivores, so are vegetables absolutely necessary in a cooked diet?

Thanks for your time!
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Tue Jan 18, '11 11:22am PST 
Hi Bonnie, hope this works better than raw for you. You need to feed veggies for the bulk missing when you aren't feeding bone. Lew Olson, who writes for B-Naturals.com, prefers to use 25% veggies to 75% meat/organ/fish/dairy/eggs if feeding cooked food. That is what I would try if I was forced kicking and screaming to feed Max cooked food. As well as B-Naturals newsletters, read dogaware.com for amazing information.

If you gently steam/simmer meat and use the broth as well the nutrient loss is not much. I wouldn't worry about it, don't tell anybody but I roll my eyes when raw feeders get all hot and bothered about it.

Calcium is easy. Feed the dog eggs. Save the shells, dry them and pulverize to a powder. 900 mg calcium carbonate per 1/2 tsp! Often phosphorus will be a bit low in a cooked recipe without bone so mixing a bit of bone meal or dicalcium phosphate with the egg shell might be better.

Another way is to cook chicken in a slow cooker or pressure cooker until the bones get soft, the way that Merrick makes some of the canned food with whole wings or thighs I think. Mush up the bones, toss the ones that aren't cooked and the food is 3 times higher in calcium than needed. Add twice the amount of gently cooked meat/fish/egg/organ/dairy and the balance is about right for phosphorus and calcium. Pretty nifty but I haven't ever done it. Don't cook all the meat like that as it is really hard on vitamins and possibly some amino acids but 2 parts carefully cooked meat and 1 part over done meat ought to be okay.
[notify]
Roxy Rapheal

You Are What You- Eat!

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 8:44pm PST 
Question for Sassy;
Re: "Calcium is easy. Feed the dog eggs. Save the shells, dry them and pulverize to a powder. 900 mg calcium carbonate per 1/2 tsp! Often phosphorus will be a bit low in a cooked recipe without bone so mixing a bit of bone meal or dicalcium phosphate with the egg shell might be better."
Why would one want to add a bit of bone meal or dicalcium phosphate along with the egg shells when home "cooking" for their dog?
[notify]

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Mon Feb 28, '11 9:43am PST 
There might not be enough phosphorus otherwise, if a diet is higher in veggies and such especially.

Make up a recipe and see what it looks like. Maybe more phosphorus is needed, maybe not.
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Mon Feb 28, '11 11:11am PST 
Also, boiling bones in water with 1/4 cup vinegar per half gallon leaches a lot of the nutrients out of the bone and into the resulting broth, plus after boiling you can crack the large bones and get the marrow out to add to the broth, then add that to the cooked rations.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Mon Feb 28, '11 11:30am PST 
You don't know how much you are getting out though. Sounds tasty though and definitely a good idea to use that bone to the fullest.

I love the pressure cooking chicken thing. Add double the meat lightly cooked with veggies and grains if needed and the calcium/phosphorus ought to be perfect as a whole chicken is about 30% bone and 10% bone provides the right amount of calcium to the diet. PC a 4 pound chicken, mash it all up, add 8 pounds of other meat/egg/organ/fish plus 3 pounds of pureed veggies. Yum.

Here is how one person does it.
http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjhomemade4.html#pressure
[notify]