GO!

Beef heart

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Hutch

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 6:07am PST 
What do I do with it? I am picking up a beef heart today and have no idea what to do. Boil, broil, just feed it raw? Any ideas, recipes for cookies will be welcome!

Hutchies Mom
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 6:48am PST 
Yes, do that. Any of the above. It is richer than other muscle meat so feed less than a meal, maybe about twice of the amount of liver your dog can tolerate as a maximum to start. [Since that sentence makes little sense, Max can have .5 ounces of liver a day so I might start him out with an ounce of heart.]

I have only served it boiled and raw. It is good and chewy but not as chewy as tongue or beef shank. Never had the pleasure of a whole heart, suspect a sharp knife and a steady hand are needed to deal with it.

The only time I tried using it as a treat was in liver cookies as cooked bits, never by itself. Suspect as a jerky it would be difficult as the irregular shape would make it hard to cut into thin slices. Boiled in strips it wouldn't tear easily. Probably boiling it in portion sized chunks and then shaving it into slivered treats when you use it would work well. As a raw treat I have no idea, been a while since I have handled it. I know the dog would love it but whether it would cut easily into small bits or be messy to handle not sure.
[notify]
Hutch

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 5:21pm PST 
OMD it is HUGE! The butcher called when it came in and told me it was just over 5 lbs, I guess I just didn't know how big 5 lbs of meat wasshock. I will most certainly be able to do many things with this amount! I think I am going to cut some in to hunks to be served raw, boil some up, and I love the idea of bits of heart in cookies. If anyone else has ideas let me know.
[notify]

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Wed Jun 23, '10 6:41pm PST 
If it was for humans, you would soak it first in brine and then stuff it with some kind of stuffing like couscous or rice or even a bread stuffing and then roast it. I wonder if you could soak it in beef broth, then stuff it with veggies and brown rice and roast or bake it if it would be good for a dog recipe
[notify]
Ava, NTD

Miss Ava Roo

Barked: Thu Jun 24, '10 8:25pm PST 
I've never found a whole heart before, but I regularly buy strips of it at walmart - Snick and Ava love it! I always give them little bites of it raw and they get superexcited about it. As compared to any other meat that I bring them, except liver and tripe, heart is what they get most excited over - I think because it has such a distinct smell that even I can tell the difference.

Anyways! I give them some raw as I'm preparing it, boil it, and then dice it up really small for jackpot training treats. I keep some pieces about twice the size of training treats and pop it in the oven until its dehydrated and use that for treats too or sprinkle it on their food. I'm sure there's tons of other stuff you could do too, but thats what works for us way to go
[notify]
Sirius- Padfoot- Black

Too clever for- Mom's own good!- :)

Barked: Sun Jun 27, '10 9:36am PST 
If you're not vegetarian, try some of it for yourself! I slice it thin, then fry it in butter with a little garlic salt. The dogs eat theirs raw. smile
[notify]
Morgan

People are- scary!!

Barked: Sun Jun 27, '10 10:05am PST 
my dogs get beef heart liver tripe kidney ect dehydrated as treats. as well as raw. I also dehydrate chicken liver hearts and gizzards. as treats. If you dont have a dehydrator you can do this in the oven at the lowest tempurature flipping the meat once every 3 hours. Leave it in the oven for 12 to 24 hours, used to dehydrate meat over 2 or 3 days turning the oven right off and refridgerating the meat at night.
[notify]
Hawk

To Know a Mal is- to Love a Mal

Barked: Tue Jun 29, '10 3:59am PST 
Beef heart is a muscle, not an organ. You can feed it raw or cook it like you would regular beef.
[notify]
Hawk

To Know a Mal is- to Love a Mal

Barked: Tue Jun 29, '10 4:30am PST 
Here is a good recipe:

3 lbs beef heart
1 cup water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp mustard
1 cube beef bouillon
1/3 cup bread crumbs

Trim any fat off the heart. Use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut off any large pieces of the connective tissue around the top of the meat. Roll into a roast form and tie with string. Brown in the oil on all sides. Put in a dutch oven, cut into about 8 pieces, and all the other ingredients, except the bread crumbs. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 4 hours, turning every hour. After 2 hours, add the bread crumbs. When done, remove heart and use an immersion blender or regular blender to smooth the gravy. If desired, you can thicken the gravy some more with a water and flour mixture, bringing it to the boil. Slice the heart lengthwise into 1/4" slices.
[notify]