GO!

Baby food for dogs?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Vera

Barked: Sat Jan 10, '09 9:18am PST 
I'm about to start a homecooked diet for my 8 month old pitbull/mix. I work in a daycare so when I was feeding the kids, the thought crossed my mind that I may be able to feed my dog baby food. I know onions are not safe for dogs but generally baby foods are just pureed foods with nothing added. How do I know how much to give her? Is one jar of meat liver enough for a day? What are some of the pluses and negatives of baby food?
[notify]
Mister- Jagger

YIP YAP I love- Rock and Roll!

Barked: Sat Jan 10, '09 9:49am PST 
Hmm, I can't help with your serving sizes. I used baby food to entice Jagger to eat when he refused to eat. Check the ingredients, and as you said, when it's simply pureed food, I believe it's fine to give it to your dog. That's my opinion. Jagger is only 10 pounds, so he got a spoonful mixed with his kibble. Usually, chicken with broth and beef with broth. big grin
[notify]
jesse

Barked: Sat Jan 10, '09 9:50am PST 
It's reallt not a good idea to give a dog beef.It is better to give them plain boiled chicken breasts.It is ok to ad a LITTLE salt just to taste.NOT MUCH!!!!And add some cooked rice to it.
[notify]

Buckley

woof you talking- about Willis?

Barked: Sat Jan 10, '09 9:51am PST 
With baby food, it is highly regulated ( more then dog food). I have several recipes that call for a jar of strained meat (baby food). This isn't all that a dog needs though. Add some things like plain yogurt or cottage cheese, vitamins ( check with your vet), cooked brown rice, and veggies are also good for dogs. My dogs like strained beef with scrambled eggs on top of thier kibble ( I give this to them after thier training has gone well). Good luck. I will be posting some recipes withen a day or two. Not all of them are balanced, but if you feed them more as a snack then a meal no harm.
[notify]
Vera

Barked: Sat Jan 10, '09 10:05am PST 
thank you guys for your feedback so far. I'd definately feed her the other key parts to her diet as well as the baby food so that wouldn't be a problem. I'm just thinking if we're traveling or I'm just plain lazy one day, baby food might be a welcomed resort. I just wanted to make sure it was safe.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Sat Jan 10, '09 10:54am PST 
Jesse, why is beef bad for dogs? They don't need the salt, but IMO, beef is fine. Boiled chicken is not an overly nutritional meat.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sat Jan 10, '09 10:57am PST 
It is expensive per calorie. The minimum calories needed are about 20 times the dog's weight and protein should be a minimum of one gram per pound. Sassy needs at least 800 calories for her 40 pound build. A meat jar is about 60 calories and 8 grams of protein. Sassy would need a whole bunch of jars!

You could feed it. I guess if you were out of food in a place where the good dog food stores were closed go ahead and feed baby food without salt or onion added. MUCH better than a grocery store dog food. Another choice would be canned meat or fish. Some stores carry hard cooked egg. Difficulty is what the strange food would do to the digestive system and hard to get these with no salt added.

It would be fine in a pinch. Of course it isn't a balanced meal but a well fed dog would be fine for a couple of weeks on not enough calcium, other minerals and protein.

If you were traveling and had to buy food for the dog I would just ask the restaurant to cook up a couple eggs and meat patties with NO salt added. My dogs do fine on bread but could get unsalted rice and mix that in as well. You could buy some calcium tablets, even TUMS, and add one smashed up to a pound of food. Add a vitamin A rich vegetable if you cannot feed liver and there you go, a nice meal your dog will like a lot better than Purina. THAT would be a good baby food to buy on a trip for sure, vegetables must be cooked and well mushed up for dogs to get any nutrition from them so baby food is perfect!

Rule is mostly meat. Try hard to feed 75% meat, the rest vegetable and starchy stuff.
[notify]
Kobe

I'm the- Kobenator. I'll- be back!

Barked: Sat Jan 10, '09 1:57pm PST 
Gerber has onion powder so make sure you buy a brand without the onion. We only give baby food when we have diahrhea. It is pretty expensive. A jar of baby food is not enough for me and I am only 8 lbs.

shrug
[notify]
Hudson

he's one in a- million!!!!

Barked: Sat Jan 10, '09 2:58pm PST 
mommy has been giving us organic baby food for the last few yrs & we love it!!! we get it mixed in with our kibble along with other organic fruits, veggies, oatmeal, cheese, cottage cheese, omega-3 eggs...blue dogblue dogblue dogblue dogblue dog
[notify]
Nabi

~~~Like a- butterfly in the- wind~~~

Barked: Sat Jan 10, '09 10:48pm PST 
My mommy fed me baby food when I wasn't feeling good. It was the "Chicken and rice dinner" flavor. Yes, Avoid onions, just check the ingredients and you should be fine. Of course, baby food isn't all you need, you need other things so staying on kibble is a good idea, but giving baby food with the kibble or as a snack makes it fun!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2