GO!

Is brown rice safe for my doggie?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

*buster*

busterbob

Barked: Tue Jun 24, '08 7:07am PST 
Lately,I have been mixing some organic cooked brown rice, steamed carrots and peas with Busters dry dog food and he loves it. My mom told me today that brown rice is a harder rice and it's actually bad for his intestines because he won't be able to digest it well. Can anyone help me out? Should I stop mixing brown rice and veggies with Busters dry dog food? I don't want to hurt my doggies tummy. confused
Thanks!
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Tue Jun 24, '08 7:14am PST 
Brown rice is fine for your dog. Make sure it is cooked thoroughly so the grains aren't hard. If you are going to do this very often, you need to add some meat. Dogs are carnivores - they need meat - and you are lowering the protein percentage of his food by adding carbs and veggies, even good ones like you are doing.

The only dog I've even known that couldn't have brown rice or oatmeal (another good grain) is Lily with her colitis. But that is a different story.

Enjoy making him happy!
[notify]
*buster*

busterbob

Barked: Tue Jun 24, '08 10:05am PST 
Thankyou! big grin
[notify]

Ziggy

Woo woo woo!

Barked: Tue Jun 24, '08 10:21am PST 
I was told by our vet that brown rice is too hard for many dogs to digest. That was when we had to give Ziggy rice and beef for some stomach issues, so I'm not sure if "many dogs" meant "dogs who have stomach issues" or "dogs in general."

Edited by author Tue Jun 24, '08 10:21am PST

[notify]
Maya

Excited to have- a twolegger- sibling!!!

Barked: Wed Jun 25, '08 12:52pm PST 
Hmmm I think brown rice is fine. I used to mix brown rice into Maya's homemade, until I found out she was allergic to rice...then I switched to oats! So if your worried about it you can always use oats. And I believe dogs usually like oats better anyways.

Edited by author Wed Jun 25, '08 12:53pm PST

[notify]
Hudson

he's one in a- million!!!!

Barked: Thu Jun 26, '08 3:39am PST 
mommy would give us all brown rice mixed in with our kibble from time to time as well however, after getting the results back from my allergy tests...i am allergic to rice. i am ok with oats as well & get organic oates mixed in with my kibble in the mornings as well as organic banana, blueberries & plain yogurt...yummy!!!!!!!!!!!
[notify]
Ziggy

Woo woo woo!

Barked: Thu Jun 26, '08 9:59am PST 
So you just cook the oats like you normally would for oatmeal? Do you have to use the long-cook version or can you use the quick version?
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Fri Jun 27, '08 5:25pm PST 
The long cook version is healthier (less processed).
[notify]
Sienna, NPC,- CGC

Adopt a homeless- dog

Barked: Mon Jun 30, '08 9:46pm PST 
you could take the cooked rice and pulse it in the blender to break it down a little for them.
[notify]