GO!

Wheat Flour vs. white Flour

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Spencer

I am a REAL boy!

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '08 5:39pm PST 
I was going to bake some treats for my 3 tonight and I don't have wheat flour in the house...is white flour really bad for them?

I am really new to baking for the dogs...I now know to keep wheat flour on hand.
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '08 5:57pm PST 
White flour is bleached wheat. Personally, I wouldn't use either (OK, I can't use either...Im allergic to it) but wheat is one of the top allergens in dogs and isn't good for them.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '08 7:06pm PST 
Wheat, along with corn and soy is a major allergen for dogs. It can cause skin, ear, feet problems + many more.
That being said, you can substitute white flour for whole wheat- it's all wheat. I would hope yours is unbleached. One less chemical for your family, including the dog.
You can grind some oatmeal into flour, but your product may have trouble holding together without the gluten - another allergen. Try adding an extra egg and less liquid.
[notify]

Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 5:46pm PST 
There is actually some debate as to whether or not oats have gluten in them. I am, however, the master at baking without gluten. You can use alternate flours (found at whole foods or health food stores) such as garbanzo bean flour, buckwheat flour (not wheat, but actually a grass), almond flour, etc... and use Xantan gum. Xanthan gum acts as a binder. Generally, you use two - three teaspoons depending on the size of the recipe.
[notify]
Newman

If my snoring- bothers you wear- earplugs

Barked: Thu May 1, '08 1:12am PST 
I know that my dogs are allergic to white flour. I usually bake treats with Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour.
[notify]
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Thu May 1, '08 4:04am PST 
gluten free flour cannot come from wheat..so if it says wheat on it, it has gluten

while flour isnt good for dogs, its not the worst...and its in almost every commerical treat...

just try for whole wheat unbleached, unbromated-kings arthur is the best
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Thu May 1, '08 4:52am PST 
Arko, are you talking about buckwheat? I had to do some digging when I allergy was first diagnosed, and found out that buckwheat is not related to wheat at all, it's just the name of a grass. It's not my favorite flour in the world, but it doesn't contain wheat or gluten.

Note: All wheat contains gluten, but not all gluten is wheat. I have a wheat allergy, not a gluten sensitivity, but stay gluten-free most of the time because if it is gluten free, it is wheat free.
[notify]
Shadow NPC,- MDM

Ban the Deed - Not the Breed

Barked: Thu May 1, '08 6:06am PST 
My pups don't have any allergies, but I do make all of our treats and it seems they ALL call for flour of some kind. Usually they call for wheat or soy. I always have white in the house so that's what I always use - I never knew it was bad for them. I can't use the soy cause it gives Shadow REALLY stinky bodily functionsred face Guess I'll have to do some research on this.
[notify]
Joseph

I heart being a- dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!- !!

Barked: Thu May 1, '08 7:45am PST 
Is white flour bad for them, like it is bad for humans? Such as, we want to have as little as possible of bleached, refined products?

I just want to make sure white flour is not toxic or anything...
[notify]
Storm

Silent Observer

Barked: Thu May 1, '08 9:14am PST 
I'm extremely allergic to most grains and starches (everything except, oddly, wheat), so I've spent a lot of time looking at the backs of bags of flour.

"White" flour (or all-purpose flour) is usually a combination of wheat and barley flour. "Wheat" flour, by definition, only has wheat in it.

You can get both bleached and unbleached wheat flour as well as bleached and unbleached "white" (all-purpose) flour. Some of those combinations may simply be a little harder to find than others.

For unbleached wheat flour, I believe that King Albert is a readily available brand that offers this option. Any unbleached option is going to cost more (as will any of the alternative flours listed above) but, if you are really keen on avoiding bleached grains, it'll be worth it. Personally, I find that unbleached flours make tastier backed goods.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2