GO!

Low Protein Diet?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hershey

When is it going- to get cold??

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 11:55am PST 
I posted this in the Homecooked Group also but thought I would try here too.

I just got a call from the vet and I need to put Hershey on a low protien diet because her kidney levels (bun and creatnine) are elevated. The vet is trying to get me a recipe but couldn't locate it when I called. Before I started doing a lot of searching on the internet I thought I would check with all of you to see if anyone had any recipe suggestions.

Obviously, I don't want to have to put her on a prescription diet because she really loves the homemade food and I'm sure prescription will taste even worse now!

Thanks!!
[notify]
Ra

Anything that- squeaks must- DIE!

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 12:11pm PST 
Is this a pre-existing issue with her?
Is it the protein specifically what is giving her kindeys issues?

What was her diet before, and is it possible that her diet has caused her kidneys to flare up?

Edited by author Tue Jul 31, '07 12:23pm PST

[notify]
Hershey

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 12:22pm PST 
Ra - good questions. This isn't a pre-existing issue. I took her to the vet for urinary incontinence and he thought it was due to her age and prescribed Proin 25 but also did blood work. The results from the blood work is that she has an elevated white blood count and he put her on antibiotics, Baytril, for infection. He said that the blood work also showed that her bun and creatnine levels were elevated and that meant that she needed to be on a low protein diet. So I'm not sure if it is the protein that is causing her kidney issues.

I switched all of my dogs to a homecooked diet with raw meaty bones in February because I was so worried about the recall. I did research recipes, bought several books about homecooked diets and believe that I'm feeding them balanced meals. Prior to that I had her on Nutro for 2 years.

On a side note, the vet complimented me on her teeth which I believe is from the RMB that I've been feeding them!
[notify]

Princess

Princess'- deserve royal- treatment!

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 12:23pm PST 
You may want to try using "meat alternatives" in place of the meat....maybe the incomplete proteins in them may be easier on her. Just remember that beans do have side effects laugh out loudred face
[notify]
Ra

Anything that- squeaks must- DIE!

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 12:24pm PST 
Ah, the magical fruit...

What are her protein sources, and how much organ meat has she been getting?
[notify]
Buddy

Can I have a- cookie?

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 12:41pm PST 
Low-protein diets for kidney problems have been the norm for a long time. Now studies are being done (and showing) that more of 1, high-quality protein may be better. The higher quality, easily digestible protein seems to be easier on the kidneys, allowing them to filter waste products more effectively.

Another concern, especially for home-cooked diets, is salt content. Now there is sodium in almost everything. You just want to watch the content in the foods you are cooking, and of course don't add any in the cooking process.
[notify]
Hershey

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 1:07pm PST 
Princess - I'll keep that in mind, BOL.

Buddy-thanks for the warning about the salt. I've been doing a little research and I've found some info about the 1 source protein also.

Ra - her protein comes from beef, turkey, chicken, fish and eggs. Although, from what I've read the egg yolks are high in phosphorus so I may have to cut down on them. I haven't been feeding a lot of organ meat and thought maybe it was too low but from what I've read it is also high in phosphorus and it is recommended to keep the phosphorus low in this type of diet.
[notify]
Julius (RIP)

my monkey boy

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 1:28pm PST 
Hi Hershey's mom;

The "new" thinking is it isn't so much the protein as the phosphorous in the protein source.
Check out The B-Naturals site. Lew Olsen is a wealth of information on dog health and is a very ncie person. She has agreat deal of expirience with renal failure. Check out this article on protein and kidney's
http://www.b-naturals.com/Apr2003.php
and for a diet check out http://www.b-naturals.com/May2004.php

good luck.
Julius
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 2:15pm PST 
Hello Hershey!
I highly highly recommend you read this webpage:
http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html

It is all about creating a homemade diet and supplements for dogs with kidney problems.

I especially recommend this section:
"Is a Low Protein Diet Necessary or Desirable?"
http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html#protein

Edited by author Tue Jul 31, '07 2:16pm PST

[notify]
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '07 4:00pm PST 
I would agree that bio-available protein is much more important than restricting the protein. Try using dark meat chicken or egg whites for your protein source. Also, limit the amount of bones because they are very high in phosphorous which is more often the problem for kidney dogs.

Here is an EXCELLENT source of information on renal issues: Try out this yahoo group:
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9KIDNEYS/

They are very supportive and knowledgable. Of course, do follow through with your vet if you're making any changes. But I found their information to be very helpful to me. You do need to sign up for the group, but it's well worth it!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2