GO!

LOW Protein, high carb diet

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Sun Jun 10, '07 9:15pm PST 
Because of a possible health problem that is currently under the supervision of his vet, Byron may be forced to go onto a low protein high carb diet. Yes, you read that right.

I was wondering if anyone had any expereince in home cooking such a diet and had any suggestions or recipes.

Yes, I know that high protein low carb is usually best, but with this possible health problem, it is not. So please, let's not get stuck on what is "best." wink

So does anyone out there cook low protein for their dogs? Also, I was wondering about low protein treats. What do you give? Regretfully, greenbeans, carrots and peas do not elicit the same response from Byron that chicken, lung and liver do. confused
[notify]
Winnie

Security Chief

Barked: Sun Jun 10, '07 9:47pm PST 
I do better on lower protein too. But I love my meat cry
My human chefs have found that I will eat my food better when there is broth in it. They have been using chicken broth. They will also make sure to add water to the meat while it's cooking to get a good broth.
While I was sick, they had my food at over 50% white rice with ground turkey. I did not care for that all too much.
After I got better the normal recipe was about half turkey and half rice, with carrot or green beans, and one big yam mixed in.
When I seem to get bored with that, they give me half rice, 1/4 turkey, 1/4 beef, and they usual veggies.
A few days ago the meat was still too frozen to cook so she made us a new food. She scrambled eggs then added a lot of cooked oats with a little carrot and cheese. Boy I loved that batch of food big grin
Right now I am on oats instead of rice and am doing very well.
I seem to have huge poops laugh out loud but my tummy is not upset.
Just try adding the broth so the rice or whatever you use soaks a lot up for more flavor.
[notify]
Byron

Barked: Sun Jun 10, '07 10:03pm PST 
Winnie, thanks for the suggestions... but I can't add broth to Byron's food, as it contains too much protein (he can't have much meat at all regretfully). He used to be on raw and when asked about his favorite foods, I used to laugh and say meat, meat and more meat! Regretfully, meat may be making him sick. frown We will find out on Tuesday at the vets. Fingers crossed!
[notify]

In Memory of Dolly

Barked: Sun Jun 10, '07 10:52pm PST 
Maybe a vegetarian diet would be good? It would definitely provide low protein and high carbs thinking

Here's some info in case you're interested smile

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/dogfood2.html
http://www.vegancats .com/

I understand your dilemma, some of us just can't handle the high proteins shrug and in some cases, it may make health issues worse (like if you have urate stones). Maybe you could talk to a holistic vet about vegetarian diets or another diet instead?

Good luck! hug
[notify]
Vinnie

I'm a- Vegitarian!

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '07 5:14am PST 
Canine Low Protein Diet for Liver Disease
Revised by Dr. Claudia Kirk, Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Nutritionists,
April 18, 2005
¼ lb of ground beef (not lean chuck)
2 Cups cooked rice
1 hard cooked egg, finely chopped
3 slices of white bread, crumbled
1 tsp powdered bone meal for feeding (if you can’t find this, substitute calcium carbonate)
¼ tsp lite salt
1 Centrum vitamin-mineral supplement
1 tsp corn oil
100 IU vitamin E capsule
1 gram fish oil nutritional supplement
1 tsp Metamucil
Cook rice in advance. Cook beef in skillet, stirring, until lightly browned. Mix cooked beef with
remaining ingredients. Store refrigerated.
The mix is somewhat dry; moisture and palatability can be improved by adding warm water or
low sodium chicken broth.
Yield: 598 grams (1.25 pounds) and 936 kcal/batch
Analysis (% Dry Matter):
Protein 19%
Fat 19%
Carbohydrate 54%
Sodium 0.5%
Calories 750 kcal/lb.
Feed sufficient amount to maintain normal body weight (approximately ¼ lb food per each 5 lb
body weight).
Supplements: SAM-e, ursodiol, and L-carnitine as indicated by your veterinarian.
[notify]
Winnie

Security Chief

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '07 4:51pm PST 
Veggie broth laugh out loud
There is also some No-Chicken Broth in the Organic section of the grocery store here.
[notify]
Byron

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '07 8:22pm PST 
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Guess what? We went for our vet appointment today and the vet said that the tests that were traken that showed a liver problem were WRONG! Yay! They were contaminated and artificially elevated. So Byron can go back on his regular diet. smile
[notify]