GO!

making stew - do you drain the water?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Buddy

Best Dog on- Earth

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '07 8:11pm PST 
I have my first pot of stew on the stove right now, and I'm wondering, do I drain the water in the pot when it's done? If I don't that's a LOT of water, but if I do, won't I be draining off nutrients? The recipe called for filling the pot to 1" below the contents and that's a lot of water.

Any ideas?
[notify]
Dollybaby

Warning!! Dolly- at work!!

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '07 8:37pm PST 
I take up the water with oats,or rice or barly or egg noodles or something. Most of the nutrients are in the water. Some pups will eat the soupy stuff though.Or you could simmer it till it evaporates a good bit,maybe.
[notify]
Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '07 8:41pm PST 
Pippin's breeder uses barley.big grin
[notify]

Buddy

Best Dog on- Earth

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '07 9:04pm PST 
Thank you! I added some organic oatmeal, and that did the trick. I'll try barley some time too!
[notify]
Carmen Von- Woofer

Grab life by the- bones...

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '07 8:21am PST 
I was going to suggest either oatmeal or barley. If I didn't have any of that on hand, I would have had to drain the water since Carmen ignores meals that has to much liquid. As for why...I have no idea!!! laugh out loud
[notify]
Goofball - CGC, CL1

Just Goofy.

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '07 9:14am PST 
My mom makes stews in the slow cooker. She only uses very little water so it isn't too watery.

You can also save some of the soup to steam or cook vegetables, grains (mom doesn't use grains), and save some for meals that tend to be on the drier side.
[notify]
Carmen Von- Woofer

Grab life by the- bones...

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '07 6:07pm PST 
I just thought of something else you could do (now that dinner is probably over! laugh out loud ) for future use! Drain the liquid into ice cube trays and offer them as cool treats on hot days!!! Now...that's some healthy H2O!!!
[notify]
Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '07 8:29pm PST 
Thats what i do with the liquid... ice cubes. They love it
[notify]