GO!

Hand-stripping a Brussels Griffon, benefits vs clipping

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Quentin

Barked: Sat Jul 20, '13 8:55am PST 
Hand-stripping a Brussels Griffon, benefits???

We have been taking our Brussels Griffon to get hand-stripped every 4 to 6 months, but it's so expensive and inconvenient.
He has never been clipped or scissor cut, except a little to get hair out of his eyes.
I always thought we were doing this to keep his hair wirey, but my fiance' said it was to keep it from shedding. Truth is we can't remember why we decided to go down this path.
Our dogs coat isn't very wirey now, it's quite soft, but he doesn't shed and we love that.

The problem is now that he has developed bad knees he doesn't want to lift his leg and his tummy get stinky, also the groomer last time left his bottom side long because she said his knees must hurt and he was too uncomfortable and wouldn't stand any longer.

If we just get him clipped it would be a lot cheaper and more convenient, there are only 2 or 3 groomers that even offer hand-stripping in an hour radius of my house anyways.
But will he start to shed? and what will happen to his coat?

Thanks

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak -ash3/944225_502726069798058_1047435097_n.jpg
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Jul 20, '13 3:22pm PST 
Problem is that clipping will need to be done more often, like every 6 to 8 weeks so cost might not be that beneficial.
However, it will definitely be easier on him, and much faster!!! A Brussels griffon has a softer coat naturally, so I really don't think you will notice much difference there, AND keeping him regularly clipped will also remove those loose hairs so I doubt you will notice any shedding either.
As a groomer I DON'T hand strip... I know how but I have groomed so long that I have lots of arthritis in my fingers so it hurts me and is too time consuming to make it worthwhile around here in our rural area.
If you absolutely hate it, you CAN let it all grow out and start your stripping again. In about three strippings the coat will be back to what it is now.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 6:36pm PST 
There are many benefits to hand-stripping vs clipping. First understand what hand stipping is though. Those course hairs that are being pulled out, those are actually dead hairs. Hairs that could eventually fall out on there own (not necessarily shedding though.

So the benefits... The first being yes it does keep the hair courser like a terrier's hair should be. It removes the hairs that are going to eventually fall out. But also look at it from a perspective of you are then opening those pores up for new hair to grow in. This allows for better airflow in the coat to whisk away moisture and overall better skin & coat quality.

The problem with clipping a dog like this down is that you are literally cutting the hair still remaining in the pore. New hair struggles to come in and it's really thought that this is one of the reasons why skin infections are becoming more common in terriers. Their coats literally just become dense with dead hair that helps breed bacteria.
[notify]

Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Tue Sep 17, '13 9:46am PST 
Bumping to bury spambots
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Oct 6, '13 10:38am PST 
a Furminator is about 8 to 10 dollars and a shed monster is around 14 with shipping on Ebay. The Furmiator does take out loose hair, but seems harsh. The shedmonster looks like a fine coat rake and can be had for a lot less.

Given how much hair Fritz can create, we could build another dog out of his shed hair. I am sure having the groomer do it would be a good deal. (not to mention the trauma of bathing him)
[notify]