GO!

Hand stripping?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Thu Mar 14, '13 5:13am PST 
Hi all puppy

I was just wondering about Skip's coat... He's only ten weeks at the minute but he's a broken coated Parson Russell Terrier.

The breeder told me to leave his coat as long as possible before I do anything with it but, how long is that?

Does anyone have experience with terriers and their rough fur?

There is no way I'm going to be stripping his coat myself (terrifying) but I was just wondering what age is best to start?

Obviously if it's not too long through the summer, I'll leave it long through next winter but like I said, I'm curious puppy

Thanks for any advice, in advance x
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Mar 15, '13 12:08am PST 
I am no pro but I stripped Raymond, an extra large JRT. I strip Maxwell, a 13 year old spaniel mix, well really card because I am mostly removing undercoat but the undercoat is on top which is ugly and needs to be gone. Carding is removing undercoat, stripping is removing the hard top coat.

The reason your breeder told you to wait is only old hair is pulled out. It really doesn't hurt if done when the hair is ready to go. You are simply taking it out before it falls out on its own.

Since I don't have experience with a wire coated pup I cannot be sure but just keep your pup brushed out often in preparation for whatever finishing touches you decide to do and when you are seeing a lot of long hairs coming out it may be time to start working on the coat.

It will cost a lot of money to have your pup done properly as it is time consuming and not many groomers are willing to tire their hands to do this. It may not need to be done as often as clipping a poodle though.

JRT don't have much of a pattern to set so wouldn't be hard to do. I know there is a particular order and timing for stripping for showing a dog but for a pet dog mostly you pull out the long hairs weekly and the dog stays neat and looks like a terrier.

Raymond came to me with a huge mane and puff of a tail as a young adult dog and all that was gone in a short session before I knew anything about stripping. He was quite intolerant of handling and I was able to do this the first week he was here [cookies, lots of cookies]. That old fur was so ready to come out! The only area he didn't care to have hair pulled on was his undercarriage but lucky for me there was little fur there any way so I used scissors to neaten him up.

My tools are a Mars Coat King which pulls undercoat on Max beautifully and the Furminator which does the same on a short haired dog. Both will cut the hair rather than pull it if you don't watch out. They are expensive and probably not needed. Then I use a cheap $5 stripper to help grab hair to actually strip, a grooming stone to pull out the really dead stuff, a short blunt tipped stripper for close in work on legs and unfortunately my fingers. They get so tired! The stone is particularly useful as it doesn't hurt the dog and they aren't worried about its use. I did once rub Max's bony ankle to the skin though! The stone is a coarse and soft pumice that wears away in time, I am on maybe my 3-4 stone in 14 years of grooming my dogs.
[notify]
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Fri Mar 15, '13 3:22am PST 
Thanks Maxwell puppy

His hair at the minute is still very puppy-ish but I can tell he's going to have a full rough coat puppy He has, what I call, 'old man hair' it's very cute at the minute but I can tell he's going to need to be stripped :o/

The breeders do their dogs themselves but it looks terrifying to me... That's just me being a wimp though puppy

There is a groomer local to me that charges £50 an they give you a five hour tutorial on how to groom your dog properly (including stripping his coat) so I think that's what I'm going to do when he's old enough... The cost of the tutorial and the grooming tools will probably be cheaper in the long-run that regularily taking him to the groomers puppy

Thanks for all your help puppy

I've seen the stones... It looks strange but makes sense lol.

Edited by author Fri Mar 15, '13 3:23am PST

[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Mar 15, '13 6:57am PST 
Wow, that is perfect! What a neat deal.
[notify]
B'Elanna (In- Memory)

What? What? I- can't hear you!

Barked: Fri Mar 15, '13 7:18pm PST 
You could also try contacting Parson Russell Dog Clubs in your area, finding them on the internet. I got really good instruction booklets and a book from the Airedale Club in my state of Illinois. Although the booklets were written on how to strip a Wirehair Terrier, the methods would be the same for Airedales. Parson Russells are much more natural than a finished Airedale, but having a book with pictures that you can refer to is a big help.

I tried hand stripping B'Elanna and gave it up. I think it would be easier to shear a sheep! laugh out loud So I clipped her. Once you use a clipper, because you're clipping off the wirey hair, the coat becomes soft.
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Sat Mar 16, '13 2:32pm PST 
Thanks guys puppy

I really appreciate all your help x
[notify]