GO!

Weird Comments from Groomers

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Wufei

I'm not a boy,- I'm a real dog!

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 2:25am PST 
I've been reading the thread "Does your dog groomer let you 'back there' while your dog is being worked on...?" and I noticed that a lot of groomers had comments about the dogs they handled.

So I was curious... have you ever had a groomer who made a weird comment about your furbaby?

Wufei has been getting groomed pretty regularly ever since he was a puppy. (shaved down every 3 months) and I do brush his hair whenever his hair is pretty long to reduce matts. But I have to admit that rather than wrestling with him and getting him to stand up for brushes, I left him lie down and he lets me brush for as long as I want. It's our bonding time...

So after a few times of bringing him to the groomers, the groomer finally got the courage to tell me, "He's pretty lazy, huh? He's the perfect dog to groom, he doesn't bite, he's calm... but I can't get him to stand up! Someone should always carry him since his legs don't seem to be working whenever someone comes near him with a brush, scissors or shaver!"

me: red face Completely my fault... grooming relaxes him...

I'd love to hear about your stories! And to groomers, any weird dog you've handled? laugh out loud
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 8:32am PST 
I have several dogs that I groom that will not stand up on the table, they just sort of flop over and lay there. Which is fine since they're all short haired dogs that get brushed rather than clipped. I also have a dog that will lay on her front paws when I try to clip her nails. Most of my clients have funny little quirks about them.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 9:02am PST 
The pups that have needed grooming always get praised "oh, she is so sweeeeeet!" when I know that dog is not particularly...sweet. Or even sane.

But it is nice of the groomer to be upbeat!
[notify]

Lily

Woof!

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 12:45pm PST 
I got a weird comment from a Vet once. She asked "Do you get her groomed? You must have to get her groomed because she has no mats" to which I replied "No, I just brush her." The Vet seemed surprised that I actually brushed my dog and that was enough to keep mats away. They must see a lot of matted pets! shock
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 1:28pm PST 
Well, I brush my collie and clip my parents' water dog mix when they're lying down because they don't stay still and it is a lot easier to work so. The neck and back are a bit difficult though and the tail almost impossible. Alva gets even washed lying on her side, I tell her to get to that position when I shampoo her. Otherwise she walks around and shampoos everything but herself.

I've never taken any dog to a groomer so I can't hear any comments from them.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 7:35pm PST 
I groom my own dogs. I don't have a grooming table, so I make them lay on the floor. It's just easier. I wonder what a groomer would say to me? thinking
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 8:31pm PST 
I'm a dog groomer, and have had to groom many dogs who just want to sit or lay down on the table while being groomed. I'm used to having to pick the dog up and telling them to stand over and over (and trust me it's not fun having to lift the rear of a 110 pound chocolate lab every 2 minutes - what a workout!). I don't expect the owner to teach the dog how to stand on the table, so I'm ready for anything.

With my own Sheltie I brush him while he lays on his side, and I find this easier to do, but I wouldn't want to do it with someone else's dog because I'm not sure they would actually stay that way for me.
[notify]
Wufei

I'm not a boy,- I'm a real dog!

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 9:50pm PST 
Thanks for sharing! Loved reading the posts. smile

@Lily: I got that from a groomer too. The one time I didn't have him shaved down, the groomer was so surprised his coat was matt-free.
[notify]
Cider- Doughnut- Shenanigans

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 5:47pm PST 
I use to groom a pekingese that would lay down and roll on her back when on the table. Also have a few dogs that dose off during grooming to the point that they sometimes start to fall over...
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 9:13pm PST 
I made a appointment with a new groomer who told me it would take a couple hrs to groom my two poms. Imagine my surprise when after I dropped them off he called about an hr later to say they were done. I told him gee that was quick. He said you have the best groomed poms I've ever groomed. Usually they are full of knots.
I groom my poms myself now.big laugh
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2