GO!

10 month old pup biting paws right after being groomed...?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 5:40pm PST 
Twice in a row the same groomer has mentioned that Frankie bites his paws while/ or immediately after being groomed...

This is the only groomer to have mentioned this, and he has been groomed SEVERAL times, and twice more since she mentioned it..

But I do wonder what the reason would be...?

I have never seen Frankie bite his paws, and not even after I groom him at home, be it just a bath, or a nail clipping and then a bath, or some touch-up trimmings on the paw pads folowed by a nail trim and then a bath..and NEVER have I noticed him even bite or lick his paws once..thinking

Again, this is the only groomer to have mentioned it, but it was both times he was groomed there, so I have to wonder...

Could it be a product she uses...?

This groomer has groomed dogs since the 1970's and has worked extensively with the local humane society, so she 'knows' her stuff...

She just mentioned it, but did not offer any reasons or suggestions..

Before I go calling the vet, or if I even do, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this...?

I do not know what could be causing it..
I have played with Frankie's feet numerous times at rest, gently squeezing his paw pads, seprating the pads, etc..and he never winces or shows any remote discomfort and does not lick or bite his paws..thinking

Again, I would venture a guess it was a reaction to something she uses, but, being she is quite the seasoned groomer and dog aficionado, I do not take her word lightly..

FWIW, I did ask her if she had any idea what could be causing it, and she just shrugged...I guess maybe she feels if it is a medical thing, she feels it is best to have a vet check it out, BUT..I do not see getting a vet involved, if the only time(s) he has done this was when she groomed him, BUT..then again, maybe the other groomers just overlooked this or possibly did not even notice if he did it with them..?

Like I said, I do monitor the dog pretty closely, esp after being groomed, and he has never exhibited this behavior..

Thoughts...?
[notify]
Sita CGC- SD(mostly- retired)

When we seeing- the ponies?!

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 8:50pm PST 
Does your groomer shave between the pads? This is a common grooming practice & if she is using a dull blade or a hot blade it could be causing your dog discomfort.
[notify]
Ch.- Rushwind's- She Who- Speaks

Thats Ms. Bitch- to you.

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 6:49pm PST 
if he's biting the tops he may be sensitive to the shampoo she is using, if he's biting the pads then it could be slight razor burn or irritation from shaving the hair inbetween the pads
[notify]

Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 8:10pm PST 
Thanks...
I bet it is something she is using..never thought of a dull or a hot blade, but that very well could be, because I know she is always super-busy each day with many dogs..(she tends to overbook..)

Thanks for the input..smile
I really don't think it is a medical mystery, otherwise he would be doing it other times, as well..How funny thought that what she is pointing out though is more than likely the result of something she is doing..lol...laugh out loud

Thanks, again!! smile
[notify]