GO!

Nature's Miracle shampoo?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Min

pink min (pink- pen)

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 9:48am PST 
my dogs primary problem areas are dry, oily, flaky skin. her coat collects a lot of oil and dirt and she always has a hound-y odor to her no matter how long ago her last bath was.

i was looking for a good deep cleaning shampoo that would also condition her coat and keep it moisturized. i came across nature's miracle ultra cleanse shampoo. does anyone have experience with NM's shampoos or better yet, the ultra cleanse shampoo? i'm looking for something that will really deep clean my pup and cut through all the dirt and oil.

i also decided to buy the deoderizing spritz. anyone have any experience w/ that either?

thanks. puppy
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 10:26am PST 
I've tried it, wasn't terribly impressed. It made Happy's coat flaky and he normally has a nice coat. On my BC's I do a first wash with Ivory dish washing liquid (cuts the grease well and doesn't dry out their skin) and follow with Lambert and Kay's Fresh and Clean which leaves a nice scent. For a conditioner I strongly prefer coat handler but often can't afford to invest in a gallon anymore. I have emu oil that I use, or lanolin that is heavily diluted.
[notify]
Min

pink min (pink- pen)

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 11:02am PST 
thank you for sharing your experience. i've tried dawn to help with the grease, it didn't seem to do much other than dry mins hair out. i wonder if dove liquid soap would be a good option? it seems more moisturizing.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 12:10pm PST 
This was my choice last time I bought shampoo. He just had a bath this morning in fact! Max doesn't have any issues with oily flaky smelly skin so all I can say is it lathers and rinses just fine and smells nice and he hasn't gotten oily flaky smelly skin after being washed with it!

I used Eqyss Micro Tek on Sassy, seemed to help the flakes and all. Might look for it next time you need shampoo.

But what really helped was more fat in the diet. Skin is a fatty organ, without it it will be dry and the sebaceous glands fight super hard to secrete oils without enough fatty acids to work with [my opinion here]. If you aren't using fish oil, look into using it. Sassy stopped being stinky once her anal sacs were healthier too and that happened as a happy accident when she switched foods. Allergies or intolerances caused her stink and yucky skin!
[notify]
Min

pink min (pink- pen)

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 1:09pm PST 
thanks for the advice maxwell. i'll look for that shampoo next time!. i used to give min salmon oil but i was concerned about the source of the salmon, i was told farmed salmon isn't good because it has a high concentration of something? i want to say iron but i am sure that's not right...whoops brain fart lol

anyways, i give my pup omega 6&3 vitamins, krill oil and flax seed supplements. it has helped improve with her shedding and with her flaky skin, but it hasn't helped with the oil or odor. that's why i'm looking for a good shampoo to help smile. she has a very thin coat (genetics possibly?) so she sheds a lot and her skin gets really dry. i'll have to try some of you guys suggestions smile
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Fri Dec 30, '11 8:59am PST 
If things have improved using fatty acids look into increasing the total fat in the diet. Sassy only tolerated about 30% fat by calories which was about 15% fat by dry weight [dry weight is close to what the kibble bag reads]. I wonder if the dry skin could have gone away if I was able to give her more but she did have flea allergy as well. Max gets about 25% fat by dry weight which is much higher than most kibbles. Try either finding a kibble with more fat or add a high fat mix to the kibble like simply cooking up some cheap hamburger and adding a bit more each day to the kibble. I actually saved fatty scraps from my meats and put just a little carefully measured bit into Sassy's food each day. Never ever dump the such stuff in all in one go, if your dog has a wonky pancreas it could put her into a serious pancreatic episode!
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Fri Dec 30, '11 9:12am PST 
Min you may be thinking of cod liver or krill oils? They have high vitamin A. Fish oil like salmon (human kind is good for dogs) goes through purification to eliminate mercury and metals. Definately a good addition for dogs AND people despite the farming. Dogs need the omega 3 to balance out the high omega 6 in the diet. A shampoo I'd recommend is Solid Gold or Castor and Pollux.
[notify]
Min

pink min (pink- pen)

Barked: Fri Dec 30, '11 11:45am PST 
yes, i was thinking of mercury! i found that the salmon oil i was using came from farmed salmon, which they have higher mercury in them i believe? what are some good ways to get more fat into her diet? like what can i add that's really good? i've heard olive oil helps with their coats too. anyone ever tried this?
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Fri Dec 30, '11 11:49am PST 
Krill oil has a small amount of vitamin A, nothing like cod liver oil. I wouldn't feed flax seed oil to a carnivore but some people think it helps the dog.

I am baffled as to why anybody needs to supplement omega 6 as that is the problem with our feed lot food - too much omega 6! Again, some people report it does help. Perhaps those dogs are on a low fat diet and these omega 6s are low, don't know.
[notify]
Tyson

Ball?! Did- someone say- BALL?!!!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 30, '11 8:04pm PST 
I'm just tossing this out there. Tyson had problems with dry skin up until the last couple of months. I mean problems like 1-2 weeks after a bath and he would be having dandruff so much that I use the vacuum on him. What we changed was adding fish oil pills AND put him on BB Wilderness Salmon. We live in Colorado and dry skin is a major issue for people and animals alike. When I shop for fish oil, I aim for the one with the highest amount of omega 3 that I can afford. In our family, my son and I take double the recommended dose (ADHD and asthma), my daughter takes one pill (she is 4 and wants a "fish pill" too) and each of the dogs get one. But I digress, since we started this regime with Tyson, he has gone 6 weeks without a bath and I saw one single skin flake today. It really is a HUGE difference for him. I wish I'd thought of this years ago.

The omega's help the brain repair itself and help metabolism, as well.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2