GO!

Dremel grit?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 5:45am PST 
Daisy has very thick, dark nails. What grit do you use with your dremels?

I just got one. I used the medium one (432 I think) that came with it and she did great. I just would like to optimize grind time with shortening her nails.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Oct 25, '11 12:33am PST 
Hmm well, I've only ever used the one mine came with. But I guess I can equate it to my welding shop experience.

There was normally some sort of medium grit paper on the belt grinder in the shop. It did a good job on about everything. One day somebody put a fine grit belt on there and stuff took forever to get done but it was very smooth and very shiny. Another time the paper was coarse grit. It ate through metal like nothing, but the edges were ragged and rough.

So, if you want to get nails done quick and don't much care for how smooth they are, get a rough or low grit drum. If you are okay with how they currently are, keep the medium or go down a few grits for a bit more speed. If you want super smooth and luscious nails that take forever, get a finer grit.

General rule is, the more grains the finer the paper and the more time it takes to get the job done. So a 100 grit is gonna be rough and fast, a 500 grit is gonna be in the middle and a 1200 grit is gonna be slow but smooth.
Also take into account the speed of the dremel. 5,000 RPMs is slower, 10,000 RPMs is faster (or whatever yours has) or if there's a low and high setting, same thing.

Edited by author Tue Oct 25, '11 12:37am PST

[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Tue Oct 25, '11 6:19am PST 
Thanks!

We've been using the medium but I might try the more course a couple times to get them filed down a bit quicker.
[notify]