GO!

Fur dye for Halloween?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Baby

The Beast

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 2:40pm PST 
Hi

We were thinking about doing Halloween costumes for the dogs this year. We are thinking Chewy and Snoopy could be kings for with crowns and red capes or something lol.

And I had the idea of making Baby a little K-9 cop since she resembles a GSD almost,just way smaller.

So I was wondering if there is a way we could safely and only temporarily dye her fur?

We would only be coloring the fur on her back to make it look like a saddle back.

Would food coloring be okay?

I was reading on the internet that it is safe to use, but I wanted to see what other dog owners would reccomend.

Thanks
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 3:34pm PST 
Make sure there are no local/state laws against what you want to do.

Last year, several people got citations in a city near my parents since apparently it is illegal to dye your dog.

I've never done it, so I can't help with the how.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 4:18pm PST 
Eeeewwwwwwwww, dying a dog? I wouldn't recommend it kiddo. First of all it's very messy. If she lies down before it dries, she'll make everything so dirty. I know it's only temporary, but the chemicals still aren't good for her skin. D:

Why don't you just make a saddle out of cloth or something. XD
[notify]

Augustus- Gloop

Cheese, Glorious- Cheese...

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 5:05pm PST 
Make a stencil, then you can spray the area with childrens blowpens. You can go to petgroomer.com and do a search.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 6:28pm PST 
If you're just doing a saddle-type spot, you could just make a big circle out of felt and then attach it to a harness or something.

If you really want to use some type of coloring, maybe buy black grooming chalk or spray-chalk made for dogs? It is made for show dogs, and it should brush or wash right out when you're done. I don't know how black it would turn out though on a tan dog.

I would be leery of using food coloring if you want it to wash out right away because it might not come out that easily.
[notify]
Zephyr

Is it winter- yet?

Barked: Sat Oct 8, '11 5:01am PST 
If you live somewhere fairly urban (and it is legal, as Bella cautions about), maybe a specialty groomer could do it for you. That way you can avoid the potentially very messy consequences of black dye on a dog on the loose in the house. smile
[notify]
Ch. Ali, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Sat Oct 8, '11 5:58am PST 
Be very careful!!! We heard about using koolaid as a safe, temporary dye while at a grooming seminar.
Several years ago we decided to dye Ali's topknot and ears green for a St. Patricks's day parade.
First of all, I cannot believe how messy it was and I AM a groomer. But, the worse part was that she had that dye in her ears and topknot UNTIL it finally grew out about a year later!!!! As time went by it faded and looked exactly like urine stains all over her head and ears.
NEVER AGAIN!!!!
[notify]
Sunny

Are you gonna- finish that?

Barked: Sat Oct 8, '11 6:03am PST 
Ewwwww! Bet that totally wasn't worth it!!!
I have a good friend who used Bedhead pet colored gel on her Papillon and Cavalier and they were stained for months.
[notify]
Maya-Living- in the UK

Pet me please?

Barked: Sat Oct 8, '11 11:33am PST 
I used food dye gel on my Mil's dog and he was perfectly fine.

yes, it was very messy and many things turned pink.

In the end we put him in a crate to dry and he was fine mostly but it still rubbed off for a week or so.

http://digiphotography.deviantart.com/#/d4bvo3e

It wore off by a month and he's back to his golden colour with no permanent signs of pink.
[notify]
Buttercup- ♥

Reeses Peanut- Butter Cups

Barked: Sat Oct 8, '11 5:25pm PST 
We JUST dyed Buttercup's ears & some of her back blue. laugh out loud
She looks adorable. We used blue food coloring, and yes, it was messy, but we did it outside.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2