GO!

home made ear cleaner?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cobi

I'm a lover not- a fighter :)

Barked: Sat Feb 5, '11 1:38pm PST 
i was wondering if anyone had a recipe for home made ear cleaner for dogs? I ran out of the over the counter stuff and it's pretty spendy and someone mentioned to me once that they made their own, anyone have one?

thanks wave
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sat Feb 5, '11 3:00pm PST 
I use three parts alcohol to one part vinegar.

It's basically swimmers ear solution (like you can use on your kids if you have them too).

As long as there isn't active infection, it won't hurt (and I would not recommend it during active infections).
[notify]
Riley Star

The Life Of- Riley

Barked: Sat Feb 5, '11 4:17pm PST 
I've always used three parts WATER one part vinegar. However I always put it on a cotton ball. I would be very weary of pouring anything other than medication into my dogs ear. Especially something homemade.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Feb 5, '11 5:55pm PST 
My vet told me to use 1/3 part water, 1/3 part WHITE vinegar and 1/3 part rubbing alcohol. Alcohol is for drying and for bacteria, vinegar is for yeast and water is to dilute it so it won't be too strong.
We actually often use that for ear cleaner in our grooming practice and it works GREAT. Smells a bit like a salad, but, hey, there are worse smells in our business!
[notify]
Haunter

Ch. BIS- Wandering Spirit- Vom Wildweg CGC

Barked: Sat Feb 5, '11 6:07pm PST 
1 cup rubbing alcohol
1 cup vinegar
10 drops essential oil of yucca
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sun Feb 6, '11 3:40pm PST 
Be careful. With only water and vinegar, there is nothing to make the fluid evaporate and it could encourage an ear infection.
[notify]
Scruffy

poopy butt

Barked: Sun Feb 6, '11 8:50pm PST 
I've always used the lowest concentration of rubbing alcohol or witch hazel. Just a dab on a cotton ball.
[notify]
Cletus Floyd Stewart

Na Na! I- can\\\'t hear- you!

Barked: Mon Feb 7, '11 11:57am PST 
I agree water, alchohol and veniger.. That's what we use to clean our basset's ears with.
[notify]
Sedona

It\'s Tough- Being A Spoiled- Puppy!

Barked: Thu Feb 10, '11 8:54am PST 
I usually only use an approved ear cleanser for dogs. We use Vet Solutions Ear Cleanser, but there are many other good ones on the market.

Homemade Solutions:
But on occasion, I have used ONLY rubbing alcohol mixed with white distilled vinegar, in a 50/50 solution. I've never added water because our Tzu's breeder cautioned it could cause an infection in a Shih Tzu's ears. The vinegar "acidfies" the ear canal, making it inhospitable for yeast and bacteria. And the rubbing alcohol "dries" the ear.

Do NOT use this homemade ear cleansing solution IF there is any RAW or irritated areas in the dog's ears (it will STING), or if you suspect a serious infection. For a MILD yeast infection (ears will smell yeasty, or like dirty socks), this works great. BUT, for even a MILD bacterial infection...I'd go to the vet. You do not want to risk a ruptured ear drum, and I have heard of this happening when trying to clean bacterially infected dog ears. eek

I soak a cottonball, and then DRIBBLE the liquid into the ear canal. Gently squish the bottom of the ear base with your fingers -- you should hear the liquid squish around. You don't want to few drops in the ear, but you also don't want to pour a bunch of liquid in. Several good drops is sufficient. Then, let the dog shake out the excess. Use a cottonball to wipe any residue from outside the ear opening.

TIP:
I pour the 50/50 solution of rubbing alcohol and distilled white vinegar, into a small glass. I then make a "warm water bath" for it, by sitting the glass in a bowl of hot tap water. I bring the solution to "room temp". If you have ever gotten COLD or VERY WARM water in your own ear, you know how jarring and even dizzying, the effect can be. shrug So, I try to keep the temp of the solution "comfortable" for her.

note:
NEVER NEVER use a q-tip or any other item to poke INSIDE of the ear canal...I'm mentioning this for anyone reading who may not know how to properly clean a dog's ears.

hth wave

Edited by author Thu Feb 10, '11 9:05am PST

[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Feb 10, '11 9:09am PST 
Great tip on warming the solution, Sedona. I'm going to try that one next time.big grin
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2