GO!

Can I use human hair clippers on Rufio?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Rufio

I don't walk, I- prance!

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 9:55am PST 
Can I use the human clippers that guys use to shave their heads on Rufios sanitary areas? If so, what number is good for shaving fur around his "little man" and butt?

I know, weird question red face
[notify]
Tex

Everything's- bigger in Texas!- Cept me!

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 10:22am PST 
That's not a weird question... You can try.. but I wouldnt advise it. For the simple reasons:

1. Dog hair very likely ruin human clippers for it being so coarse
2. They dont do a very good job (depending on how coarse ur dog's fur is)
3. It takes a longer time for that reason and the clippers get HOT so not only burning your dog or making them very uncomfortable and the clippers get over heated and break
4. They pull on the dog's fur

Other people can probably give a better opinion. But this is me from experience. smile

Good luck tho!
[notify]
Tex

Everything's- bigger in Texas!- Cept me!

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 10:23am PST 
Oh and if Rufio's hair is not as "rough" you could try trimming with the clippers a little.. very very little... but it might pull or not do the job a few times and just take longer.
[notify]

Rufio

I don't walk, I- prance!

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 10:58am PST 
Hmm well that sucks. I'm trying to avoid buying a clipper just to clip his sanitary area once every couple months. Clippers are expensive thinking
[notify]
Miss Lola- Luftnagle

Solid Gold- Dancer

Barked: Tue Aug 24, '10 5:44pm PST 
Groomer use professional clipper with a 10 blade, this leave the equivelent of 1/10" I believe.

As to human clippers,yes you can, but I would suggest that you use the attachment comb (the shortest length about 1/8 ") for safety reasons. I have the wahl peanut, and I know that the blade is equal to a 40 blade. (surgical length), and would only use this for paw pads, with out a guard. When shaving around the rectum, shave away, never on, with a very light hand., as to the penis area, be very careful, some dogs have a center divit line, that can be easily cut/nicked, and pay special attention to the tuckup area, that flap of skin in front of the back legs.
Always check your clipper (turnoff first) on you wrist, to check the heat, and if your clipper pulls the hair, this means that the blade is dull, and needs to be replaced. Blades should be cleaned, and oiled between use. The oil really helps keeps the blade from heating up quickly.
Bath and dry the dog first for easier clipping, and I would suggest you have a helper hold your pup on a high table securly by the neck , while doing the rectum. You must hold the dog from underneath, holding the tail with the same hand. This keeps the pup from tucking tail, or sitting while trying to clip this area. For his stomach area, the helper will stand the pup up on the back legs, and you will clip from the front. Always check for the above mentioned divit. Takes all of 3 miutes tops
Good luck.way to go
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Wed Aug 25, '10 2:25pm PST 
My mom bought some clippers for humans and cut her scottie's hair several times.

I got mine at Wmart in the pet section. The Wahl brand. The first two times I paid 23.00 and this last time they were around 40.00.

The clippers last me about a yr. I cut her hair about every 6 weeks. I have been cutting her hair myself since she was about 1 yr old or so. She is now almost 5.

They might not be as good as the expensive groomer type ones..but are made for dogs. And, they have saved me a ton of money by doing it myself. I paid the groomer 30 each time the first few times.
[notify]
Stella

Teacup- chupacabra

Barked: Thu Aug 26, '10 7:21pm PST 
For a dog with a sparse coat you might be able to get through it with cheap human clippers, but we humans have a dinky 'haircoat' compared to dogs, and pet clippers will do a much better job. We tried doing a sanitary clip on our cat with my husband's old clippers and it failed miserably, where a Wahl ARCO glides through easily.
[notify]
Rufio

I don't walk, I- prance!

Barked: Fri Aug 27, '10 12:20pm PST 
oh $40 is not bad! The ones I looked at in petco/petsmart were over $100 and that's just too much for occasional clipping job in my opinion. smile
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Fri Aug 27, '10 5:44pm PST 
Yeah, these really work good for a pet dog. I mean if I was a dog groomer or showed dogs of course I'd get some really good ones and I am sure if I used the professional ones I'd like them better.

But, it really saves me money. And, the ones I got last time came with several attachments and grooming scissors and a comb.

If you look at Allee's pics you'll see that I like to leave her head poofy on top a lot of the time.
But, there's a pic of her from the side on her main page where I just got finished cutting her hair one time. And, it does the job!

Also, at walmart in the pet grooming section is where I got mine. They also have some a little cheaper for quick grooming like you are talking about. Just read on the back of the boxes and they tell you what they are good for, they get more expensive the more technical of a hair cut you need to give.
I was supposed to technically get the next set up that cost a little more but I tried these bc heck the first two pair I got were only 23.00 so I didn't want to pay a whole lot.

If you had a dog with really long or matted hair, you'd need more professional ones. But, for me I keep Allee's pretty well groomed every 6-8 weeks or so. So, for me the cheaper ones are good.

Edited by author Fri Aug 27, '10 5:47pm PST

[notify]