GO!

Tell me about whitening shampoo

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jasper

an oodle of fun!

Barked: Sun Oct 11, '09 8:01pm PST 
Hi- I don't know a darned thing about whitening shampoos...Jasper is cream colored and I have been asked by the groomer before if I want a whitening shampoo...are they safe? What is a good brand?
[notify]
Nabi

~~~Like a- butterfly in the- wind~~~

Barked: Sun Oct 11, '09 8:24pm PST 
Hi there Jasper! wave

A good whitening shampoo is by Tropiclean. It's called TropiClean Natural Awapuhi White Coat Dog & Cat Shampoo!

It's all natural and whitens the coat great. Nabi's fur always shines brighty when we use it, her white becomes beautiful.

From what I know, whitening shampoos get dingy whites white, and makes the white, brighter. But you have to be careful not to use whitening shampoo all the time. We will be using ours twice a year, maximum. I only used the shampoo twice between baths because Nabi got really stained on her white coat. (looked horrible too!)

Anyway, make sure to wash it out thoroughly as well, as it is known some coats can get a lavender hue that can be seen under specific lighting if not washed properly.

I'm not sure about the color problem though. But I have heard that whitening shampoos can give a non white coat luster and shine as well. Thats what I heard.
shrug
[notify]
Tucker Max- Small Paws

Tucker Max- Protection- Agency-Pres.

Barked: Mon Oct 12, '09 9:14am PST 
Jasper, this is a brand that many professional groomers and show people use. Chris Christensen. You can try the White On White System kit which includes a conditioner, a hair thickener and a grooming spray that can reduce tangles during regular brushing. It's only $10 for this kit and you can see if you like the shampoo.

Chrissystems

Edited by author Mon Oct 12, '09 9:15am PST

[notify]

Lia

Lia Bia Teddy- Bear

Barked: Mon Oct 19, '09 6:42pm PST 
I just used a whitening shampoo with Lia for the first time yesterday. I'm impressed- she looks brighter, shinier, and softer! Its not something I will be doing very often though. I only bathe my dogs a few times a year anyways!

I used "Sho Sno Shampoo". It doesn't contain any bleach or other harsh chemicals. way to go
I say give it a try! Lia has some cream in her coat too!
[notify]
Desmond CGC

Poodle Swag

Barked: Fri Nov 13, '09 8:19pm PST 
I like Chris Christensen shampoos... I am going to order some very soon. I've not used it yet, but I've seen dogs who do and their coats are beautiful.

The thing with whitening shampoo is that, even though it gets the dog's coat whiter, it's not always a good shampoo. Whitening shampoos frequently use harsh chemicals and bleach that I think are just gross. They damage the hair and make it brittle until it falls out, and it's really awful for the coat. I used a whitening shampoo from the pet store on Desmond, and I really didn't like it. It made his fur kinda whiter but the texture of his fur was really gross afterwards and I still don't like using it.

I would go with the "natural" whitening shampoos.
[notify]
Rosco

"world class- cuddle bug"

Barked: Fri Nov 13, '09 8:33pm PST 
I use the TropiClean whitening on Rosco too. It makes his white really white, his black really shiny, and it smells really good too.
[notify]
Ricky

Mommy's "Angel"

Barked: Tue Nov 17, '09 4:11pm PST 
I am getting ready to try a new shampoo by "Animal House".

I was at a dog show over the weekend and I talked to the rep. for this company.

It is a gentle whitener and a lot of show people use it. I ordered some of the shampoo and conditioner. Great coat conditioning products.

The whitener is called "Mighty White n Brite"

Check it out at www.animalhouseusa.com

I bought their "Coat Magic" spray and I was able to comb out all of Rickys mats very easily. big grin
[notify]
Ricky

Mommy's "Angel"

Barked: Sun Dec 20, '09 7:30am PST 
UPDATE to my last post:

I Just received the Animal House shampoo and conditioner and it did a really nice job on Ricky. It is a very gentle whitener, safe to use with every bath. Ricky's coat is so nice and white and it is very easy to comb through. (Even removed his beard stain)

I also tried it on my black poodle and it really enhanced her black color and her coat feels so nice.

I love to try new products, this line might seem expensive, but you dilute it so it will last a long time. blue dog
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sun Jan 10, '10 11:05pm PST 
I have got to find a good one for Brodie. He is so dingy compared to how he used to look as a pup.
[notify]
Zoey (1990 ~ 2010)

R.I.P. Zoey

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 12:04am PST 
I'm trying to find a good whitening shampoo. None that I have tried really do the trick.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2