GO!

How much grooming do Standard Poodles really need?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Sep 18, '09 2:58pm PST 
So, in my quest for SP , one breeder says they need to go to the groomer bi monthly ( thats every 2 weeks!) . Others have said every six weeks. That breeder said 3 hours a week of brushing and bathing. How often should they have a bath? I am so confusedconfused The only thing they all seem to agree on is they need to be brushed every day.
[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Fri Sep 18, '09 3:55pm PST 
It depends on what type of cut you keep your dog in. We shave Ollie down really really short, nearly bald, and then wait about 8-10 weeks before shaving him again. But we line comb him every day and use a spray detangler (well, once his hair starts to grow back!) so he has zero mats, and we do a face/feet/sanitary shave around week 4-6. When his hair is at it's longest, it takes us about 15 to 20 min a day to comb him. If we skip a day, it can easily take twice that time. Generally, though we spend 5-10 min a day combing for most of the time between groomings.

If you comb your poodle every day, you can space the groomings further apart. Most places recommend more around the 4-6 week range because generally people will brush their poodles but not line comb them so they will get mats. If you do not plan to brush/comb your poodle, or if you want to keep a long haircut on your poodle, I can see going every 2 weeks or even more often.

As to baths, I generally give Ollie a bath every 1-2 weeks depending on what he's been getting into. I may bathe him even more often if there is a lot of seaweed in the ocean when he swims (it makes him smelly). As long as you use a gentle non-stripping shampoo and a conditioner, you can bathe your dog more frequently. Some poodle owners that I know never bathe their dogs themselves. These people tend to be the ones who are not as into daily maintenance and so they go to the grooming salon more like every 4-6 weeks.
[notify]
Ch. Chaz

We don't do- doodles!

Barked: Fri Sep 18, '09 4:28pm PST 
I am a fanatic about keeping my poodles faces and feet shaved and do it every 3 weeks or so, but I keep their bodies fairly short (5f in Summer, 4F in Winter) and do that about every 8 weeks. The only thing I ever have to brush is ears or tails, which I keep long. They are bathed about every 10 days, and thoroughly brushed before that. The standards we do in our salon are all scheduled for every 8 weeks and we never run into any matts and trust me, these owners do not brush between grooms!!!! These are also kept short with a 4F blade. Several of them do not want feet shaved, so that makes our lives easier. Ears can sometimes have a knot or two, but they are easily brushed out. Several also keep the ears short, about an inch long all over. Looks fine and upkeep is nil. Of course, a good shampoo and conditioner will help keep matts from forming almost as well as a good brushing.
My poodles in show coat are brushed completely every day and bathed once a week. I still will find an occasional matt in there even with that schedule! But, we are talking hair that is 8 to 10 inches long!!!
[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Sep 18, '09 6:52pm PST 
Now I am more confused bol. If you want long hair, you have to go to groomer *more * oftenthinking ? I can deal with every 4 to 6 weeks (trimming and bath), and brushing every day. So whats the best cut for me in that situation?
[notify]
Goofball - CGC, CL1

Just Goofy.

Barked: Fri Sep 18, '09 7:40pm PST 
How often depends on several things. The main thing is, how much coat is too much coat to keep brushed out (without matting). At some point the coat length is going to take more upkeep time. So how often you get your dog groomed can be a simple matter of the length of time it takes for your dog to get from "just groomed perfect length" to "just about too much coat for me to handle".

I used to have a standard poodle, but only have a toy poodle now. But either way, I can't stand how her face looks after 2 weeks. Those whiskers and fuzzy paws bother me. So I do face, feet, sanitary every 2 weeks. I do clips every 2-4 weeks because I don't like her looking overgrown. I have to brush her more when I have her coat longer, when she gets wet from walking outside (puddles and wet grass), and from sticklers. I do bath her every 2-3 weeks, before a trimming.

Edited by author Fri Sep 18, '09 7:41pm PST

[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Fri Sep 18, '09 8:52pm PST 
We have pet clips. During the summer...we get groomed every 5 to 6 weeks (and a bath in-between if we find fun stuff on a hike) to keep our hair short and sporty (and easy upkeep).

In the winter...we get groomed every every 8 to 9 weeks with more frequent brushing in-between. We like being more fluffy in the winter to keep us warm...cuz we hike year-round.

We're like topiary gardens...you can clip us any way you want. Check out my pics and my furbling...Jasper.
[notify]
Jasper

an oodle of fun!

Barked: Fri Sep 18, '09 10:54pm PST 
Hey Bunny- great questions. I have to admit, it has been trial and error here with us and we only have a mini poodle. We have had Jasper for 5 months now- and he has been clipped maybe 4 times. He looks his best now...I do wonder in different seasons if the hair grows at a different rate, etc...I know if you take your dog in to a groomer some groomers have a long wait so you have to plan ahead. If you are getting a puppy, I would start the face and feet shaving (if you like that look) early so they get used to it. We do not have mat issues, but we bathe once and week and brush daily. I have also heard that darker pigminted poodles are easier to take care of because you don't have to worry as much about dirt and they tend to have tougher skin- not sure if any of this is scientifically factual, but several poodle owners have told me this. Poodles are pretty awesome, great choice...big grin
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Sep 19, '09 3:10am PST 
Sonja, that is what is was thinking. Short in summer, long in winter. From your pics, we seem to have similar climate. smile Thanks for everybodys input. big grin
[notify]
POSH ( CGC- )

Yes, I am this- Purdy in the- morning

Barked: Sat Sep 19, '09 6:10pm PST 
Well, I have a huge Goldendoodle, a male standard poodle and a new puppy standard poodle.

I get my standards done about every 6 weeks. I keep them in the pet clip/puppy cut. I try to comb them inbetween. I am going to attempt to groom some myself, at least everyother groom to cut the costs.
[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Sat Sep 19, '09 6:58pm PST 
Hmm, maybe the everyday combing is more important when you're in foxtail country! Seriously those buggers are out all year round, plus the other assorted burrs. If you miss a day of combing, they build up and form mats fast!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2