GO!

Wheaton Terrier Cut

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jade- Alexandria

Dont mess with- me, I'm- chihuahua!

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 2:50pm PST 
I was taught in school and reviewed the Notes From the Grooming Table book (which were the same) that on the Wheaton Cut you go part way down the back leg like one might do to a schnauzer, only higher up, more like a brussles.

The manager of the store I just applied to said thats not the correck cut and it looks more like the round version of the airdale, before the airdale started to be groomed like the schnauzer.

How do you guys groom your wheatons?? With the part shaved leg or a full leg???
[notify]
Cameo

October - breast cancer- awareness

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 4:32pm PST 
Jade,

I've never had the opportunity to groom a wheaton, but I'd bet you could go over to petgroomer/dot/com and get tons of advice from many very experienced groomers. There are many members there that compete and know what they are talking about.

However, on another note, if the boss says you do it one way, it's probably best to do it the way she wants (at least to start off with, bol)
[notify]
Jade- Alexandria

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 6:39pm PST 
DEF.. once I get into my and her groove of things in the next few months and she sees how I am with suggestions to my customers I'm sure she won't care about how I groom them. She's real nice. She just looked at the Wheaton and said it looked good and walked away. I was expecting a FULL inspection.
[notify]

Nefertiti

Queen of the- Squeakies!

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 8:40pm PST 
Whenever i do a wheaton in a wheaton cut (most of our wheaton customers don't want the wheaton cut), i do the partial shave down the back leg, following along the muscle line to expose it, but blend really well. I think it looks better anyways, because if it's left up too high, it gives them a very bushy bum.

Most of our wheaton customers here want either a strip or a teddy/lamb type clip on the body, and a modified head with no fall, and many get full long ears. Like a round schnauser face, and usually a #4 or higher on the head and cheeks. The whole dog basically looks very round and plushy by the time it's done, and most of our customers like it that way.

Funny enough, I do a full wheaton cut on a dog thats not even a wheaton. It's a wheaton/poodle mix, and by the time I'm done, it looks like a black wheaton, fall and all. They love it, because they keep getting people thinking that they have a rare black wheaton.
[notify]
Jade- Alexandria

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 9:21pm PST 
The Wheaton that I tested on today wanted a #4 Wheaton Clip with NO skirt and a 3/4 on the legs. It looked really good when I finished (with the full leg version), but it was ALL Lamb on the body with a Wheaton Head. I did a #4 on the head and cheeks as well as thats what the manager told me to do when I asked. I usually do #7's on the head and cheeks. And this dog looked very PLUSH!!

I love it! A black "wheaton". LOL
[notify]
Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Mon Aug 25, '08 9:18am PST 
I'd think you did a hand-scissor "stovepipe" leg on a wheaton?

I do know that our local groomers like to cut wheaties/kerries/pretty much all terriers in the mini schnauzer clip and think ALL terriers (regardless of coat type) need to be stripped so maybe there's some strange info out there on terrier grooming?
[notify]
Jade- Alexandria

Barked: Mon Aug 25, '08 9:33am PST 
I've been too MANY groom shops on the west coast and I have yet to meet a Groomer that did stripping. If a dog isn't for show, then whats the point of stripping?? Its not something we learn out here. These are pets, not prizes.
[notify]
Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Mon Aug 25, '08 10:21am PST 
I'm east coast.
And apparently a lot do it to prevent coat/skin issues.
As for my part, my terrier will never be stripped because she's soft coated so not a good idea in general.
[notify]
Lola

Poodle, not- doodle!

Barked: Mon Aug 25, '08 6:50pm PST 
Stripping Prevents "schnauzer bumps" and some terriers get skin infections from not being stripped. The reason your kerry has a soft coat ( and this is just me guessing because i havent seen her) is because she is clippered rather than stripped also you shouldnt condition most terrier coat. At least that is what i was told at "the long and short on terriers " a terrier seminar by Sarah Hawks NCMG shrug Back to the subject... i have never groomed a wheaton so i am not really sure!red face
[notify]
Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Tue Aug 26, '08 5:47am PST 
Lola,
My kerry has a soft coat because kerries are SUPPOSED to have a soft coat. Like bedlingtons and wheatons are.
This is why I and other owners of soft-coated terrier breeds have problems finding groomers that would know how to groom our dogs.
The kerry coat has more in common with poodles and PWDs (which I don't imagine you'd handstrip) than schnauzers and the like. Harsher, harder, coarser coats are actually a detriment as they seem more prone to spiculosis--which already plagues the breed.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2