GO!

What do you do with your dog's whiskers?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Larka

Mommy's little- Helper. (corral- me!)

Barked: Fri Jul 4, '08 9:44am PST 
I don't do anything with Larka's whiskers, but I was wondering what all of you Dogsters do?

Pluck, trim, leave be?

blue dog
[notify]
Lady

Barked: Fri Jul 4, '08 10:29am PST 
Bol! I thought you meant save them in a jar or something when they fall out! laugh out loud
I don't do anything to Lady's whiskers. They're not in the way, and I've never even thought about them. blue dog
[notify]
Trix~Lady Chaos

Unable to- respond...

Barked: Fri Jul 4, '08 10:33am PST 
I leave them alone...

With black whiskers on black dogs, I usually forget that they are there anyway. laugh out loud
[notify]

Buddy- Doughnut- *CGC*ESA*

I\'m Jelly- Filled! *Gone- But Not Forgote

Barked: Fri Jul 4, '08 10:40am PST 
I leave them long! There much better long. wave
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Fri Jul 4, '08 11:54am PST 
I don't do anything with them. The only time I might trim is with Ginger's eyebrow whiskers if they start curving down into her eyes-- sometimes one of them will start to get really long and curl and then I will trim it. Also if she has a bunch of eyebrow whiskers on one side and the ones on the other side have all fallen out or are really short, sometimes I will trim the others so it doesn't look weird. Those are the only whiskers I do anything with.
[notify]
Cope- (copenhagen)

Sniff, Growl,- Bark....

Barked: Fri Jul 4, '08 12:25pm PST 
Dog whiskers are so cute, Call me strange, but i think they are. Copes whiskers stay on her face.
[notify]
Larka

Barked: Fri Jul 4, '08 2:51pm PST 
Ok! I was mostly wondering because I once saw a Boston Terrier with her whiskers plucked. Does this hurt the dog? No way would I do it to Larka since she's going to be an agility dog later in the future and she needs those whiskers- but I was just wondering.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Fri Jul 4, '08 2:58pm PST 
I can't imagine how it could not hurt the dog. Dogs' whisker pads are very sensitive and even touching/moving the whiskers can be uncomfortable let alone pulling them! Are you sure they were plucked and not shaved? Some breeds they generally show them with shaved whiskers. I know someone who shaves her Dobermans' whiskers although they are not conformation dogs, they're obedience dogs.
[notify]
Larka

Barked: Fri Jul 4, '08 3:12pm PST 
Yup. The owner said plucked. shrug

But the dog seemed fine with having her face touched- she's a conformation animal I think so maybe that's why the owner chose to pluck the whiskers.
[notify]
Jade- Alexandria

Dont mess with- me, I'm- chihuahua!

Barked: Fri Jul 4, '08 5:44pm PST 
Just leave them. Whiskers only need to be trimed if the face is supposed to be shaved or trim in such instances as a cocker, poodle, springer, shih Tzu (trim only).
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4