GO!

Goldendoodle Grooming

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maynard

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '08 4:04pm PST 
Does anyone have any suggestions about the different styles for Goldendoodles? Maybe a website that has pictures? Thanks a bunch!
[notify]
Bluebell &- Azra

Who's calling me- a Poodle?

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '08 7:41pm PST 
Hey Maynard,

I have a lot of goldendoodle clients, and most of them seem to like this style (some are shorter, some are longer):

http://usera.imagecave.com/dirtydogs57/groom1.jpg

Bas cially I clip/scissor them 1 length all over with a round face and rounded tail. This particular dog likes to be a bit shorter with long ears (to look like pigtails) but most doodles I do trim the ears to the chin.

You can also visit Barbara Bird's Blog (google BBird's Groomblog and you will find it) and use the search tool at the top to search "goldendoodle" She has 2-3 posts about this breed with some pictures and groom instructions there as well.
[notify]
Daisy Dawg,- NPC

Doodle.. it's an- attitude thang!

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '08 6:45pm PST 
Maynard.. I have Daisy clipped quite short. She still looks adorable to me but she is one of those fun Goldendoodles who sheds all over the place. You can view some pics of her clipped short on her page. I tried to keep her hair long for a while but it got to be too much to deal with all over. Plus, she loves the dirt and mud.. and I hate bathing her with long hair! LOL. The pics in the now are the more recent ones with her hair short.

Edited by author Sun Feb 3, '08 6:46pm PST

[notify]

ACE

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '08 7:47am PST 
it could be difficult to find what you are looking for, because goldendoodles aren't a recognized breed, and do not have any stadard in terms of haircuts. taking him to a groomer and saying "i want a goldenddoodle cut" wont really help you.

most people like to keep their doodles in full coat. however, this takes a lot of maintenance and brushing. they also have hair that is sort of difficult to work with. most blades that are longer will look uneven on these dogs. talk to the groomer about what you want, if you dont want a lot of hair taken off then just say thaqt. one length all over looks best on these dogs
[notify]
Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '08 9:44am PST 
I would suggest a grooming like a SCWT. So many of the doodles I've seen look like one, it'd work nicely.
Otherwise, a lamb cut would be nice.
[notify]
Daisy Dawg,- NPC

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '08 9:05am PST 
as a followup .. when Daisy's hair was long, it was beautiful.. but as a previous poster said, it was made up of about 3 different kinds of hair which might be a nightmare for some groomers. My old groomer loved Daisy with long hair and said it would be a shame to cut it.. so she just trimmed. When she retired, my new groomer said to avoid the shedding we should just keep it short. So that's how Daisy got her new haircut. I love it long but it IS alot of work.
[notify]
ACE

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '08 10:33am PST 
daisy, just wanted to let you know that your new groomer does not sound like a good one. no knowledgable groomer would tell you to shave a dog b/c of shedding, because it does not work that way. no matter how short the hair is, it will still shed if the dog sheds in general, the hairs will just be smaller. a lot of people bring me dogs like goldens, labs, huskies, etc, and say "i want him shaved becaquse the shedding is so bad" and i tell them it wont make a difference. actually, the shorter the hair is, the worse it is b/c instead of long hair shedding, yur getting short prickly hairs that get stuck in everything.but like i said, no groomer who knew anything would do that
[notify]
Daisy Dawg,- NPC

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '08 10:39am PST 
ACE.. thanks for the advice. I actually only went to her once. It has helped the shedding. Daisy's coat has been short for a while now. Because she is a mixed breed (yes a glorified mutt) she seems to have different types of hair. The long hair would fall out and sort of float around in our house. Now with the shorter clip (maybe there was a different type hair underneath) she does not shed nearly as much. I used to run a brush down her back and get a tonne of hair out. Now I only get a few stray ones. I am not an expert by any means but it worked for us. As for that groomer. I only went to her once. She took over the business after my groomer retired... same shop and everything but she charged me like 20 dollars more for the same haircut. I have tried another place.. but not happy with them either.. still looking for someone who was as great as my first groomer.
[notify]
Dash

Barked: Tue Jun 3, '08 4:21am PST 
I wonder if it's because Daisy was still a puppy and was losing her baby fur? I am getting Dash groomed today and my husband wants it short and I want and love it long. Daisy is beautiful, I am printing out her picture to take to the groomer! :>)
[notify]
Jade- Alexandria

Dont mess with- me, I'm- chihuahua!

Barked: Tue Jun 3, '08 3:53pm PST 
Shaving a dog does help with shedding. Yes, they still shed, but any undercoat they have is gone and the hairs are smaller thus unnoticeable. All my clients that shave their shedding breeds do it because it helps. I know the pros and cons of shaving shedding breeds, and the majority of those points point toward the pros.

Edited by moderator Thu Jun 5, '08 1:42pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2