GO!

Does Petsmart use tranquilizers?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rudy

you're not the- boss of me!

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '07 12:02pm PST 
I just read in another post that her dog was tranquilized while getting a routine grooming procedure done at Petsmart. I didn't know they did this, is this usual and do you actually sign something that says that they can do this if necessary...and if you DO sign something is this something they should verbally make you aware of before handing over your dog?

Rudy went to Petsmart once because I thought her anal glands were bothering her and our regular groomer was not open on weekends. They convinced me to get her a bath and nail and ear trim as well...I thought it would do no harm. When we picked her up she seemed odd...not happy to see us, a little off ....just not herself. I have not taken her back there since and after reading that last post it just occured to me they maybe gave her something to settle her down.
I vaguely remember signing something but I don't remember anyone mentioning that they may use tranquilizers...If anyone knows the proper procedure that Petsmart groomers use I am curious to know! Thanks!

Edited by author Mon Nov 26, '07 12:03pm PST

[notify]
Diesel

if i want it,- it's mine

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '07 1:40pm PST 
as far as i know the corporate stores don't use sedatives, but i couldn't say for certain. you could always call the store and ask their policy on it. as for another dog saying they were sedated, did they say that it was proscribed/administered by a vet? i personally hate working on sedated animals since for the most part it makes things worse and if the dog is that bad it should be knocked completely out for the groom and under vet supervision.
[notify]
Lita

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '07 1:41pm PST 
NO. they are not allowed to use or even take in dogs under ANY kind of sedation.
[notify]

Kiera

Did someone say- outside?

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '07 2:08pm PST 
I worked in a Petco grooming salon and I'm assuming Petsmart is the same way.....no, they are not allowed to tranquillize or work on tranquillized dogs. If a dog is so wound up or nervous that it NEEDS tranquillizers, it is policy to refuse the client.
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '07 3:25pm PST 
It is illigal for any groomer to use such drugs. The vet is the only one qualified to give sedatives. Why not if groomer closed go to your vet they do anal glands there to.
[notify]
Rubie Pie

Rubie Pie

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '07 4:07pm PST 
I work at Petsmart. That would be highly illegal I would think. We would never do that. I can say one time one of the groomers was bathing a Yorkie and the dogs' pad got caught in the grate. We called the owner and asked for permission to sedate the dog so it would be less painful to take it out.
[notify]
ACE

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '07 9:19am PST 
dogs should never be given any sort of medication without owner consent, and it is against any corporate store policy to sedate a dog. petsmarts who have banfield hospitals can accet already sedated dogs b/c there is a vet on the premises who can save the dog is it went into shock, but that is it. if you have a dog that needs sedation, it should always be done near a vet.
[notify]
Bluebell &- Azra

Who's calling me- a Poodle?

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '07 5:20pm PST 
It is illegal for any groomer to dispence medication, period. Groomers who work for a vet are able to have the vet sedate the dog for them, but it is all with owner consent (legally anyway...there may be some bad apples out there).

As for the pup who didn't act the same following his groom, stress can really wear a dog out. If it was his first visit to the salon, the new groomer and different procedures (every groomer will have their own order of completion and techniques) that can make the dog stress more than he normally would. Also, if you were the least bit anxious about leaving him or about his post-grooming behaviour, he will react to that.
[notify]
NuNu - {Nubert- Nubinsky}

adopt a shelter- dog!!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '07 11:53am PST 
i read the same post you did... i dont bring my dogs to petsmart for grooming, shadows the only one that needs grooming and we have a little one around us, that we will be going to once he needs to be groomed smile i would just say ask before you let anyone groom your dog!! i would rather be safe then sorry smile
[notify]
Belgian

I am the- Chocolate boy!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '07 4:35pm PST 
i read this thing awhile back that said that a vet should only do the anal glands. it said most groomers are not trained enough to do the anal glands causing many injured dogs
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2