GO!

Great Dane nail trimming tips

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Kena

Couch Potato!

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '07 10:12am PST 
My dog is a 10 month old Dane puppy and for some reason if you even get close to touching her front paws she goes into this crazy dance where she rocks back and forth picking each foot at a time and eventually ends with her face diving into the carpet and laying on her feet so I cant touch her feet.
This is funny untill its nail triming time....

I have tried waiting till she is dead asleep and calmly talking to her and being as gentle as i can, and I have tried, with the help of my sister, holding her down, giving treats and trying to hold on to her feet while I try and trim them. haha this doesnt work at ALL
She is 110 and so strong once i grab her paw its yanked out of my hand and she is across the living room before I could even attempt to clip them.
The vet had little tips for me but to bring her in and have her almost compleatly sedated, which seems a bit much for a simple trimming.

Does anyone have the same reaction from their dog and how Can i get her to let me touch her feet so i can do a quick trim?? There has never been an accident w/ cutting them too short so I dont know where she learned this little dance, but though its funny, it gets old after about 5 minutes of it.
Thanks
[notify]
Joy

Ding! The Fries- Are Done!

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '07 10:26am PST 
I use a cordless Dremel on Joy. You can get them at Sears:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00961078000P?vNam e=Tools&keyword=cordless+dremel

They are great, and cheap. It leaves room for error, you will not cut the quick with the dremel like you would with a normal clipper, so therefore they will not bleed. Good Luck
[notify]
ACE

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '07 7:57pm PST 
i dont mean to discourage you, but desensitizing your dog to feet being touched should be done when they are as young as possible, for this exact reason. you can probably still work her out if it, but now you have to do it to a 100 lb dog instead of a little puppy.

here is what i would do . dont waste money on a dremel yet. if she is yanking her feet out like you say, the dremel will not work. call every groomer/vet in town and tell them the situation. i would leave the sedation for the last possible option. however, i have to ask how long it has been since the dog's nails were clipped? the longer you let nails grow, the longer the quik grows, making the amount you can clip off lessen greatly. so depending on how long the quik is, you may need to sedate her and cut them all back.

what all this is leading up to is this. the easiest way to keep a dog's nails short: WALKING THEM. if your dog is over 30 pounds, then walking them every day on concrete will keep the nails filed themselves.
[notify]

Paris-- CGC &- Therapy Dog

Missy Wiggle- Butt

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '07 8:48pm PST 
My friend has two Great Danes and had another in the past. ALL of them had their feet handled from an early age and ALL of them hate nail time! She thinks its because they have such big thick nails that the pressure you need to put on the nail to cut them is greater and they feel it more. What she does with hers is first take them to the park or on a long walk to get time a little worn out. Then she has them lay on the floor on their side and her husband will sit by their head and give them treats and talk to them while she clips them. It took alot of work (ie one nail a day) until they will let her get them all done at once. They get one small treat per each nail and one special treat when she is all done. She does their nails about once a month. Good luck!
[notify]
Bluebell &- Azra

Who's calling me- a Poodle?

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '07 8:51pm PST 
I have groomed a few Danes (used to help prep some Danes for show for a breeder) and they can be tough! I have found that having them stand next to a wall (tied to a wall hitch if possible) makes it easier for me. I would use my hips to sort of pin their shoulder to the wall while I lifted the paws like a horse farrier would.

Ace gave some great advice; I would not go for the dremel as what really needs to happen is getting her used to handling. I would just practice holding her paws. It may be good to have the vet sedate her and cut back the quicks so that her nails get to an appropriate length and allow you to start tipping them off (instead of trying to cut them shorter). Good luck.
[notify]
Kena

Couch Potato!

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '07 3:32pm PST 
Her nails are short, i try and get at them at least once a week and just chip away at however many she will let me cut at a time, but its just getting frustrating because she knows that its not going to hurt because it is done so often, she just wont break the habbit of getting scared and yanking her feet away....
[notify]
Cruiser

Goofy Pup

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '07 4:15pm PST 
Kena, I trim Cru's nails the EXACT same way that Paris mentioned her friend does. Cruiser is about 90 pounds at 7 months of age and, while he has absolutely NO problem having his feet handled, he runs the minute he sees the clippers in my hand. The way I do it now (after many, MANY difficult nail trimmings) is I have my husband sit in the recliner and call Cru to him. Then, holding a bag of treats, he will tell Cru to lay down and give him a treat. Then, while he dotes on Cru (holding the paw I will clip first in one hand) I trim the nails. It works like a charm. We do the back nails in the same way, except we will both be on the floor with Cru.
[notify]
Jewel

Can I come- too!!? =)

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '07 6:04pm PST 
I don't know if this would work for a dane, or if you could do it, but my friend had the same problem with his pitbull because the nails were just too thick...he would take him to a tennis court and throw tennis balls around and the nails just natually wore down. He never had to worry about cutting them again. Might work for you...
[notify]