GO!

Good Shampoo for itchy scratchy dog:)

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Newman

If my snoring- bothers you wear- earplugs

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '07 11:14am PST 
I am looking for a good shampoo for Newmie. He has high allergies and often gets hotspots. Does anyone have a suggestion for a shampoo that will help his skin feel a little bettersmile
Thanks!!
[notify]
Rally Pood

Hand over the- treats'n nobody- gets hurt!

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '07 6:36pm PST 
I suggest trying either the Coat Handler (5-in-1) or Eqyss MicroTek shampoos. (Eqyss also makes a MicroTek Spray.) Good luck!
[notify]
Tess

Raw-fed and- loving it!

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '07 8:26pm PST 
I'm not sure of the brand name... I think it's called Vet's Choice... plain white bottle... but it's an oatmeal shampoo. Worked wonders on our first dog's itchy dry skin, multiple hot spots, and dandruff. Yuck! To this day I alternate shampoos to include one with oatmeal, particularly during the winter months when their skin really dries out and the baths are few and far between.
[notify]

Cinnamon Grrrl

The Little Bad- Wolf

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '07 9:09pm PST 
Comfy Dog Natural Oatmeal Shampoo works for me!
[notify]
Hercules

Herky Perky

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '07 10:02pm PST 
I would try tea tree oil.. it seems to help a lot.. smile
[notify]
Newman

If my snoring- bothers you wear- earplugs

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '07 12:02am PST 
Thanks so much! I have heard that Tea Tree Oil is good for hotspots so I am definitely going to try that. We went and bought an oatmeal shampoo and so far so goodsmile
[notify]
Tohbi - Deceased- 10/04/2013

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '07 5:41am PST 
When Tohbi had an allergic rash all over, I bought an oatmeal shampoo and a tea tree oil shampoo. The oatmeal made him itch less, but after few days - he was pretty stinky. I think it was the oatmeal residue on his skin. So I'd bath him with the tea tree after a couple of days to wash the oatmeal out.

It worked out pretty well. I just wanted to warn you in case you notice something a little bit smelly.
[notify]
Jake

Isn't it- lunchtime yet?

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '07 3:11am PST 
Tea Tree Oil is toxic to cats (or so I hear) so be careful if you have cats in your home. Don't ever bathe them with that shampoo or let them come in contact with it. Mom uses Tea Tree Oil shampoo for me, but she got it before she learned about this particular fact, but she's practicing good preventative measures and the cats are good and safe (kind of helps that the shampoo stays in the bathroom, where the cats are afraid to venture, lol)

Mom LOVES a brand called Earthbath (they carry the Tea Tree Oil and Oatmeal, among other formulas). It's the best stuff that's ever worked on me, and it can even be used on humans (mom freely admits that she uses the shampoo [whatever she bought for me, right now it's the Tea Tree Oil] and the conditioner, and it's actually doing REALLY good things for her hair. It's so shiny and soft and it looks really healthy. Mom says she only tried it because she was having scalp issues with human shampoo, and she wanted to see what the lower PH in dog shampoo would do). Earthbath isn't found at Petsmart, not in my area anyway, but mom gets it at the lower-chain pet food stores. Here, it's at the only three stores that carry the premium pet foods (like CA Natural, Orijen, Innova, Wellness, etc.)
[notify]
Precious- Pearl

PROUD TO BE- PRETTY

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '07 8:05pm PST 
you can add a few drops of the tea tree oil to the oatmeal shampoo
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '07 8:13pm PST 
We feel your pain. Harley has a ton of allergies, has itchy skin, and we are always fighting a hotspot. We recently got him a medicated shampoo with tar in it. For hotspots we have found that Dermoplast spray helps a lot (from people pharmacy). We have also recently found Medi-Tar Dog Spray and Fungisan for Dogs Spray. We've been using the new shampoo and the 2 new sprays for just a couple of days, so it's hard to say what good they are doing. Harley does seem to enjoy his bath with the shampoo though. If you find something that works, please shoot us a pmail.....we are trying to avoid a lifetime of allergy shots, but aren't sure if that's going to be possible.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3