GO!

Snow gets stuck under my paws!

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '05 4:03pm PST 
Whenever I go out to play in the snow, I always get a big ball of ice-snow stuck to my toe-fur. It's really hard to walk around with balls of ice stuck to your feet. I have to chew them off the second I come inside, and momma tries to get them off with a towel... but there's gotta be a way to prevent the snow from balling up. How? Snow boots? Is there a kind of non-stick spray we can use? Powder, maybe? I'm open to all suggestions!
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '05 4:18pm PST 
I'd suggest some good boots. There's a thread in the service dog forum about boots. You should check it out!
[notify]
Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '05 4:26pm PST 
I think fleece booties are good for preventing ice balls...but we haven't had a chance to try it, since there isn't much snow in central Texas....
[notify]

Kaltag "Kallie"

Mushing in the- SNOW!!!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '05 4:27pm PST 
You can make them too rather than buying them: http://sunhusky.com/booties/
Pam sprayed on the bottoms of dogs' feet will work for about 3 or 4 miles. It helps a lot of you trim the hair between their pads too, as that's where snowballs form.
[notify]
Diesel

if i want it,- it's mine

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '05 4:31pm PST 
you can shave the hair from between the pads and there is also a wax that you can rub into your pads called Musher's Secret. i use that on all my dogs feet and it works great!
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '05 4:32pm PST 
If I sprayed Pam on Sabrina's feet I don't think she'd move! She'd be too busy licking it off... yummmm, fats are good, she says.

Sabrina doesn't have long foot hair, so she never had a problem with that, but I do have some pictures of her in her old boots after the ice storm in NC on her page. Usually she prefers snow without boots, but she was happy to have boots with 3 inches of ice coating everything. If you look at her picture album you'll see a picture of her with a tree bent completely over due to the weight of the ice behind her. Thank goodness we live in CA now and don't have to deal with that! The high today was 74!
[notify]
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '05 4:58pm PST 
Thanks everyone, and I'll check out those boot suggestions!

Yeah, we were thinking about Pam spray... only thought was, is it easy to get off? Don't want to slip when I walk inside, or get things all greasy.
MacKenzie- ♥

Deaf Dogs hear- with their- hearts.

Barked: Sat Nov 19, '05 7:52pm PST 
We use the Musher's Secret too, and it works very well. We have never had a problem with snow ball toes! Mom puts in on us in the summer too, cause the sidewalks get hot!
[notify]
Scruffy

poopy butt

Barked: Sun Nov 20, '05 3:05am PST 
There's a product called Musher's. It's a sort of cream that you can put between their pads to prevent the "balling". Also you can try just plain vaseline.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Sun Nov 20, '05 7:34pm PST 
Trimming the fur between the paws helps a LOT to keep snow from sticking!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2