GO!

lick fits

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Greta, CGC

Please pet me,- PLEASE, PLEASE,- PLEEEEZE!

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '07 1:55pm PST 
I also posted this in the Swissy group forum, so I apologize if you see it as a dup:

I've read about "lick fits" on a couple of Greater Swiss Mountain Dog forums but have found very little info anywhere else. Greta just had her first episode last Wednesday and I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with these. Basically my understanding is that the dog has an upset/gasy stomach and to try to alleviate the pain/pressure they continuously lick anything/everything in sight! The episode went on for about an hour until we gave her some Maalox and kept walking her in circles around the house. Finally she stopped and then seemed fine. It seemed that the Maalox gaver her diarrhea for the next day or so however. Just wondering if anyone has any insight into these fits or any treatment ideas. Thanks!
[notify]
ludo

swissie sissy

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '07 6:38pm PST 
ludo suffered many lick fits growing up. they have lessened as he has gotten older. he always gets them in the middle of the night. i always keep gas-ex on hand and give him two immediatly. then i let him eat grass and a piece of bread if i have any. my breeder recomended doing this years ago. it has cut the lick fit time in at least half. i find that ludo tends to gets lick fits if i don't space out his 3 meals a day out enough. i guess it creates more time for his belly to fill up with gas. best of luck dealing with them.
[notify]
Greta, CGC

Please pet me,- PLEASE, PLEASE,- PLEEEEZE!

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '07 11:28am PST 
She has had two other episodes since the first one and we did realize that it's when her stomach is completely empty. The Gas-X seems to help but then she gets diarrhea for the next 24 hours or so. But last time I gave her a few soda crackers and it stopped almost immediately. I'm trying to give her a snack in the middle of the day so her stomach never has a chance to get really empty. So far so good. I'm also keeping the crackers on hand just in case. Thanks for the reply!
[notify]