GO!

Adding a Puppy to Family

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Pearlie

Where's my- tiara?

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 1:26pm PST 
We have an adult, neutered male Great Pyr/Anatolian shepherd mix. He is a working dog, patrols our 36 acres and protects our goats and chickens.

We have felt for some time that it would be beneficial to him if he had a teammate, another dog that would work with him on our farm.

I wonder if any of you have any experience choosing and introducing a new puppy to your adult dog.

Our Harry is socialized so that he prefers NOT to stay with the livestock all the time. He wants to enjoy our company in addition to doing his job. He accepts other visiting dogs as long as they acknowledge that he is the boss. He accepts visiting people as long as they are not threatening.

I'm pretty sure he will accept a puppy, but I don't know whether to get a male or female. I prefer a male myself, but I don't want there to be problems between them when the puppy grows up.

Does anyone have any advice?
[notify]