GO!

High protein foods cause stinky poop?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Mocha

Furry Diva

Barked: Fri Feb 12, '10 9:35am PST 
Hello, I have two four-month-old kittens and am still testing different kinds of healthy foods. When I first rescued them from the shelter, they were fed Iams Proactive Health. So I started gradually switching them to Innova EVO, but it seems to cause Mocha to have very stinky poop…the kind that you can smell through a hooded litter box from the living room!

I’ve also been feeding them canned food from Iams (bought that before I read up on nutrition), although I stopped feeding the canned food when the poop started to stink. But I’m not sure if it made any significant difference.

So I started switching them to Natural Balance Ultra, which is on ConsumerSearch’s recommended dry cat food. (It contains no chemical preservatives, no corn and no by-products. It has 34% protein.) I haven’t given them canned food yet but would like to resume soon.

My goal is to feed them high quality dry & wet food (not planning to go raw at this point) that will result in poop that doesn’t smell – I think that’s what most of us are looking for! I know Innova is highly recommended, but I’m a bit confused as to why Mocha’s poop smelled so bad on Innova compared to when she was on Iams? Is the poop stinky because of the high protein content? Or is it possibly the canned food? I thought by-products and fillers cause smelly poop, but EVO doesn't have those. Am I making the wrong observations? shrug

PS. All my recent posts have been about poop...troublemaking kitties! kitty
[notify]
Luigi

Cuddle Bug

Barked: Fri Feb 12, '10 1:03pm PST 
It's normal when switching from a crappy diet to a high quality diet to have stinky poops. It took Luigi's about 4-6 weeks to clear up. I have a large 2 story house and I could smell his from clear at the other end of the house it was that bad! It doesn't smell anymore.
[notify]
BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Barked: Fri Feb 12, '10 4:52pm PST 
It should be that the more protein the less smell. Our poop has no smell at all since we went raw. I know you're not looking at that for now, but a grain-free canned should eventually clear up the smell.
[notify]

Mocha

Furry Diva

Barked: Tue Feb 16, '10 11:12am PST 
Thank you! I will give Innova EVO another try.
[notify]
Sc00ter

Barked: Tue Feb 16, '10 4:42pm PST 
Hi there:

I never new that about what you feed your cat could be causing the smell. They recommend protein for adults but never knew it was also going for pets as well. Great knowledge here and certainly will help.

http://www.heavenpeturns.com
[notify]
Abbie- McFlooferson

I not fat!! I- fluffy!!

Barked: Tue Feb 16, '10 10:58pm PST 
What could be causing the smelly poops is the food switching. When I switched my girls over to a different food, they had some pretty smelly poops for a couple of days. Hopefully if you stick to one food the smell should be less. Hopefully!! Good luck!!big grin
[notify]
Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Barked: Mon Feb 22, '10 5:39pm PST 
For what it's worth, my cats have much smellier poos on an all wet diet and lower quality kibbles. On high protein grain-free kibbles their poos aren't bad at all.
[notify]