GO!

hamburger fat

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Cyprus

Cypranius King- of Quinn

Barked: Sat Oct 7, '06 11:49am PST 
is it ok to add the hamburger fat to cyprus dog food? when we cook hamburger helper (with five kids, i make A LOT of hamburger helper here..lol) after browning the meat, we always drain the grease, and my husband wants to start putting it on cyprus' food. is it ok to do? we probably wouldn't put it all on there, just a drizzle on top or something. how often would be ok to do it? 3times a week? daily?(if we save the grease, i make HH a lot, but not everyday! lol)

oh, and i don't season the meat while i'm cooking it. so, there wont be any added salt.
[notify]
King

Barked: Sat Oct 7, '06 11:53am PST 
I have never used hamburger grease but have put a little bacon grease on my dogs food. I have always heard it was good for skin and coat. They really enjoy it and I have never had a problem with giving it. I would think hamburger grease would be good for skin and coat also and tasty to cyprus.
[notify]
Sara

My new name: - SUPER GLUE

Barked: Sat Oct 7, '06 12:07pm PST 
There are a lot better oils/fat for your dog's skin/coat than hamburger fat, so I certainly would not overdo it.

Pure Wheat Germ oil is excellent for your dog. Just a little as it is very rich.
[notify]

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sat Oct 7, '06 12:24pm PST 
I would do it rarely, if ever. Too much fat can cause serious problems. Maybe ask the vet... All though you might get the "Table scraps are BAD!!!" speech for that... I don't know your vet.

Belle was prone to pancretitis from whole meat scraps. On the other hand, last week Vance did drink a good portion of beef fat I'd left cooling on the counter a bit too long. He seems to have suffered no ill effects, other than being a tad gassy that night.
[notify]
Cyprus

Cypranius King- of Quinn

Barked: Sat Oct 7, '06 1:48pm PST 
we don't give any 'people food' or table scraps. he does sneak in a couple of bites out of the trash here and there if we forget to tie the bag up after throwing something away! we might just use it as a treat every once in awhile then. no biggie to keep dumping it like we always have! thanks for the responses!
[notify]
Miyuki

Mom says I'm a- pretty (stinky)- pup!

Barked: Sat Oct 7, '06 5:47pm PST 
Oddly, I just fed Miyuki a browned hamburger and reserved the fat for her as well. She was terribly gassy all night... phew, what a stink! Her poop was normal, though. Suffice to say, I don't think we'll be feeding her anymore beef fat. I do keep some bacon drippings for her food but no more than a teaspoon full over her food at a time. For extra fat for her coat, I normally put an egg in her kibble.
[notify]
D . O . G

there are no- stupid dogs only- stupid ppl

Barked: Sun Oct 8, '06 7:13am PST 
Everything in moderation. wheat germ oil is probaly better just dont over do it.
[notify]