GO!

sportmix dog food yay or nay?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 5:02pm PST 
I have been told its good and Ive been told its awful. I understand its not the highest quality good you can buy. but is it decent? I would like to feed my pups decent food. what do you guys say about their premium small kibble formula?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 5:53pm PST 
All the premium mini chunk formulas I looked at had meat meal first then ground corn. None had much protein but did have good amounts of chicken fat, so they are high in calories and you wouldn't need to feed much of it. Corn can be fine for a given dog but I wouldn't expect to be happy with a house dog fed meat meal kibble. Meat meal can be very nasty stuff made of whatever animal came in the truck that day and processed when the hopper was full so the meats could be decayed and the animals of indeterminate species could have come from any number of dubious places. Dogs fed such may be perfectly happy and healthy but if the food is stinky it is likely the dog will be stinky as well.

"In the 2013 Official Publication we found…
Meat – definition requires souring from slaughtered animals;
Meat Meal – definition does NOT require sourcing from slaughtered animals;
Meat By-Products – definition requires sourcing from slaughtered animals;
Meat and Bone Meal – definition does NOT require sourcing from slaughtered animals."
http://associationfortruthinpetfood.com/are-ingredient-de finitions-allowing-loopholes-to-quality/
[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 10:26pm PST 
Nay.

Maxwell covered the most alarming things about Sportmix. I personally, don't feel comfortable feeding any pet of mine a food that isn't specific on what it has or a food that has been known to dabble in the euthanized pets-in-food game. I feel, personally, that there are many more options out there to feed your dog besides this brand.

If cost is a factor, I know Tractor Supply carries some Sportmix, but they also carry a food called 4Health, which is ten times better than Sportmix. No corn, specified meats, and they even offer a grain-free line at a very affordable price. Personally, I'd look into another brand.smile
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 10:35pm PST 
can you elaborate on the euthanized pet part? I know some brands did it but didn't know sport mix did??
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 10:41pm PST 
sportmix is 23.99 for 40lbs
4health is 36.99 for 30lbs.

is there something closer to the sportmix price that is better?
I know the local humane society uses purina. we have a purina facility near by to. I have heard purina isn't good either though.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 10:51pm PST 
sportmix is 23.99 for 40lbs
4health is 36.99 for 30lbs.

is there something closer to the sportmix price that is better?
I know the local humane society uses purina. we have a purina facility near by to. I have heard purina isn't good either though.
[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 10:54pm PST 
I have a book called "Food Pets Die for" by Ann Martin. It explains how certain companies that use unspecified meat often buy euthanized animals from rendering plants.. I didn't mean to alarm you, or supply false information, but usually when a company refuses to specify the types of meat they use, that is generally the first thing I think of. But the book by Ann Martin offers a lot of insight into the pet food industry. I don't have the book in front of me currently, but I know a large number of brands tested positive for sodium pentabarbitol (sp?)

They may or may not be guilty (I think I remember them mentioned in the book), but still, I just don't trust any company that won't give up the information on their ingredients willingly. Meat by-product could be anything from road kill to slaughter house leftovers.

The price of Sportmix will reflect its quality, and usually brands that offer a large variety of specified foods will be a little steeper in price. Personally, 4Health would be worth the sacrifice, but I do understand that people can't always sacrifice money.

Another brand I would look into is PureBalance. It is carried by Wal-mart and generally is an alright food, and very good quality at an affordable price.
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Sat Dec 7, '13 12:59am PST 
If price is a concern, WalMart carries a brand called Pure Balance as Firefly said already. Sandy did terribly on it, but she has a plethora of sensitivities and allergies. So, it's not good to judge a food based on her reaction to it (bol). Sweeney does okay on it, though. Not his best, but he did well enough on it. Didn't feed it long before removing it out of the rotation, but it's got a lot of bang for your buck cost wise.

Lassie Natural Way is far from perfect. Got 3 stars on Dog Food Advisor. It could do without the beet pulp and all the rice. But it's far better than most brands of the same price. It's really cheap for the quality it is. It is pretty much just... average quality. Better than like, Kibbles N Bits. But not the best. It's affordable and I've seen it at Dollar General. I buy it for my mom in bulk for her dogs as I find it better than her feeding Alpo.

Rachel Ray Zero Grain is decent. It has a couple questionable ingredients, but none of the icky stuff her other dry food lines contains (like menodione). It does have peas and beet pulp, though. But it's probably a better bet than Sportmix.

Those are the only cost efficient brands I can think of off the top of my head. I've bought them for my mom from time to time to feed her dogs. Her dogs do well on them and seem to love them. Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Dec 7, '13 8:39am PST 
looks like pure balance was just as expensive as 4health. I was using chicken noodle soup dog food 40lbs for 36 bucks. what do you guys think?
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Sat Dec 7, '13 9:11am PST 
You'll feed less food per day using a food with some value to it rather than a bag of corn, which incidentally many dogs are allergic to. That lowers the the price of 4Health considerably. 4Health is sold in 35 pound bags, not 30 as you stated.
$31.99 for Chicken and Rice
$$34.99 for Grainfree Salmon and Potato
$34.99 for Performance which isn't GF, but higher protein
Each has about 328 calories a pound. All of these are under $1 a pound and you won't find decent food much less than that.

I don't use it regularly (TOTW and Canidae are Lily and Moira's choice), but have and there was no problem with the dogs and one is very sensitive to food.

I won't feed a food with menadione, corn, soy or wheat. The first on the list has been removed from human food due to causing cancers and the others are often allergens for dogs. 4Health is the best priced food I've found that meets my criteria.

edit: Diamond Naturals might fit your price range.
$29.99 for 40 pounds of Chicken and Rice or Lamb and Rice, 368 calories
$36.99 for their Extreme Athlete higher protein with 470 calories a pound

For my dogs it was an okay food, but not as good as the others above.

Edited by author Sat Dec 7, '13 9:30am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2