GO!

Alternatives to rawhide?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 7:12pm PST 
@Noah: Wow thank you! I just ordered some bully sticks and some other stuff off that site. Such a good deal I could not resist!

@Delta: I actually had no idea what they were made of until a few minutes ago. I was like bull pizzle?? Whats that! LOL I now know!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 7:41pm PST 
I bought from PetFlow once before; my issue with their sticks is how thin they are. They cost a little less, but they also last my dog a much shorter time. But my dog is considerably larger than yours, so may not be as much of an issue for you.

Antlers can break teeth depending on how aggressively the dog chews. Given how long they last, they would actually be a better buy than bully sticks for careful chewers, except many dogs lose interest in them quickly.

Edited by author Mon Sep 9, '13 7:47pm PST

[notify]
Sonny

the world's- first blond,- agility Beagle

Barked: Wed Sep 11, '13 8:26am PST 
I have 50 pound dogs with a variety of chewing "enthusiasm" and they LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Hoofs. And that is exactly what they are, Cow Hooves. Warning - they do smell awful - which is why I think they love them.
I also will purchase real, raw bones, meat and all, from the butcher at the grocery store every now and then. The marrow is good for them, they really enjoy them, and unlike sterilized bones, they don't shatter.
[notify]

Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Thu Sep 12, '13 2:59pm PST 
My dog also loves bully sticks but as he gets bigger he goes through them really quickly.

I've tried:
cow and lamb ears, they didnt last very long
rib bones (some meat still on, they are my favourite)
bully sticks (decent staying power depending on the dog)
antlers (my dog can really be bothered with them unless they are cut in half so he can get at the marrow)
himalayan chews (Benny adores these but he goes through them really quickly and I'm always worried about how he will handle that much cheese shock

In conclusion, I love raw rib bones. They are biologically appropriate, keep them entertained for ages and theyre the cheapest option way to go
[notify]
Ammo

Barked: Thu Sep 12, '13 4:28pm PST 
Benny, I was just thinking about buying some rib bones today, your recommendation convinced
me. smile Do you just buy spare ribs, or what should I look for?
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Thu Sep 12, '13 7:59pm PST 
I go to my local supermarket and they sell bags of rib bones for $1.50!
Alternatively, if I dont have time to go there I'll cave and buy beef ribs.
I have bought short ribs in the past but the bone is a bit too short and might be hazardous, the longer the rib the better.

Good luckway to go
[notify]
Penny Mouse- Fart Ayala

I eat, therefore- I am.....

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 11:28am PST 
Other than Bully sticks (great for teething) I started buying pigs ears from my vet! They digest easily (no intestinal blockages like rawhide)and dogs LOVE them! Especially teething dogs. Penny LOVES them and it encourages her to chew and remove her own tartar from her teeth. She doesn't chew as much as she did as a pup, but when she does, it's a pigs ear! They sell them online at Petco and alot of other sites. I wouldn't buy anything sourced from China, though. Be careful!!way to go
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 5:36pm PST 
The bully sticks are great! Hazel used to go through rawhides in 20 minutes, but she has been on this bully stick for the past two days smile She also loves them! I also got her a little knee cap bone to chew on to, and I have given her pig ears in the past puppy
[notify]
Bartley

Barked: Wed Sep 25, '13 11:17am PST 
Ditto what others have said on bully sticks and antlers. Bully sticks are an easily-digestible alternative to rawhide, and most dogs love them. They can take a little while for the dogs to chew through them, as well.

Antlers last longer than bully sticks, and most dogs grind them down very slowly. Antler burrs will last the longest. For some dogs, antlers are too tough. Instead, you can get split antlers, which have been cut down the middle to expose the softer marrow inside.

puppypuppy

www.BartleysforDogs.com - Every purchase helps a dog in need
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2