GO!

Food recommendations for a tough case with a stubborn owner.

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 6:57pm PST 
My older sister has an 8 year old Lab mix named Louis who has suffered with allergies from a young age. For the longest time he was on really low quality food, and it took me forever to convince my sister to upgrade. Eventually she worked her way up to Solid Gold, and then to grain-free Avoderm. Louis was doing well for a while but lately he has awful eye problems. The vet wants him on a steroid shot regularly confused. She is convinced that she cannot afford anything else (even though her family income is easily double mine and I feed raw).

Her family will be moving near us in about a month and I've offered to help her to with food, but she's stubborn. She doesn't have the patience to keep trying different foods and losing trust in me very quickly. What are some good recommendations for a very allergic dog (to grain and who knows what else) that are still somewhat reasonably priced?
[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 7:15pm PST 
I had to switch Firefly from TOTW to Fromm's grain free. I feed the Pork & peas flavor, because the only proteins in it (derived from meat) are pork and salmon oil. Is her dog sensitive to protein sources or plant based ingredients? Also, there are limited ingredient diets (Wellness Simple, NB LID) if his allergies are extremely extensive.

Has the idea of seasonal allergies crossed her mind? My doggy suffers from seasonal allergies, especially in summer. She gets little hive bumps and scratches alot, and I just treat her with one Benadryl.

As far as foods for allergies, I like these:
Merrick's
Fromm's
Wellness Simple
Natural Balance LID

*Both Merrick's and Fromm'a are the only two foods I've found with salmon/pork varieties. These are the two protein sources Firefly thrives on.
[notify]