GO!

low protein high quality Grain free food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 1:22am PST 
Hello!

I am here ot ask about a grain free high quality low protein food. If such a thing exists. I've discovered sweetie can't really stomach Nature's Variety Instinct now that i have sucessfully taken her off of the I and Love and You Dehydrated food brand. I bought Merricks as my next attempt for her but i relaize the protein is only a few % less. In the event Merricks won't work. What are some other lower % protein grain free dog foods?

Thanks in advance.

At the moment I'm feeding half raw and half dog food.

Thanks again big grin
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 1:31pm PST 
What level of protein are you looking for?
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 2:50pm PST 
According to Nature's Variety Instinct it is 78% protein and 22% fruits and veggies.

Merrick i believe is 70/30.

So something less then that maybe? but still grain free if that's possibe.

Nature's Variety doesn't seem to sit well with Sweetie's stomach. Gives rank gas. Jake is fine on it though. But hecouldn't handle taste of the wild.

Or is it something else causing the gas? And not the level of protein?
[notify]

Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 9:46pm PST 
Have you tried adding probiotics to her food? Sometimes that helps with gas. If that doesn't help, have you considered a limited ingredient diet? While it could be the food is too rich for her tummy it also could be a sensitivity to certain ingredient or multiple ingredients. Nature's Variety has a few limited ingredient diets if you would like to stick with that brand. There is also Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets and Wellness Simple Solutions if you would like to try something else.

Edited by author Tue Mar 26, '13 10:06pm PST

[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 10:18pm PST 
NV instinct is not 72% protein. It's 72% animal sourced, which would be oils and fats as well as bone. NV comes in at 42% protein. Raw diets are usually no more than 55%. There is a limit on how much protein is actually in an animal, after which if the percentage is higher it's been, it's been adulterated, usually with soy, peas, or some other protein booster.

You're looking at 42% protein 22% fat and only 4.5% fiber.

There are a few very good lower protein grain free foods out there. Here are 4 to look at That we have tried and generally liked. We consider low protein to be under 30%, because cat and ferret food starts at 30%, and they are obligate carnivores. Dogs are not so obligate, and generally the low protein stuff is in the 18%-30%. Anyway:

California naturals kangaroo&red lentils is grain free at 21% protein

avoderm salmon and potato is grain free at 22% protein

Pet Curean NOW grain free adult comes in at 26%

Sojos complete turkey comes in at 23%

BTW congrats on Jake being DOTDcheer

Edited by author Tue Mar 26, '13 10:32pm PST

[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 1:10am PST 
Thanks for all the options you guys posted.

Caroline got really sick tonight so we're going back to the basics. I may have to look into a LTD diet for her and keep her and Jake's food seperate once she gets better.

Tagget - that is what i meant. I shoul dhave said lower animal source. I'm happy you understood what i meant though.

Thanks again
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 10:01am PST 
I know that Nutrisource has some lower protein grain free foods. They have their Nutrisource Heartland Select (I think there may be other formulas too) that is around 24-25% protein and they have PureVita grain free foods that are also around that protein range.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 11:44am PST 
My dog loves the Pet Botanics grain free food they sell at Petsmart. It's got 26% protein and she gobbles it up! I would recommend it.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 12:25pm PST 
Just my opinion, and may not help, BUT... it seems like you have gone thru a tremendous variety and brands of food for a dog that you have had less than three weeks.
Most dogs need to properly develop the digestive enzymes for complete digestion of a certain food and that usually takes 3 to 4 weeks at the minimum.
When I change a dog's food I make ONLY one change a month. That gives the dogs system time to fully utilize the food and adjust to it. I also start with a very small amount per meal, also to help them adjust to changes.
From what I am reading on here you have been giving her an awful lot of food AND an awful lot of different types and brands in a very short time. She didn't get too thin overnight and it is also critically important to not expect her to be gaining her normal weight back too soon. It is a very common mistake to feed a thin dog too much too fast and they ultimately end up getting sick from it. A better idea is to pick a well balanced food and feed her slightly less than a "normal" amount UNTIL she adjusts to it, the slowly increase the amount she can tolerate after 3 or 4 weeks of bing on that food.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 11:27am PST 
Thanks for all your replies.

Toto- Yeah i was moving around quite a bit. Since the dehydrated food was only becuase when i intially got her her mouth was really bad and she couldn't/wouldn't eat kibble unless it was blended. So it was easier for me and my blender/food processsor to just feed the soft dehydrated food. But unfortunately I can't afford to feed her a 65 dollar bag of dog food that only lasts about 9-10 days. So i decided ocne her mouth was better to put her on the kibble i keep around for jake when i can't afford to do full raw. It gave her disgusting gas. And it still does when she steals some of jake's food. Jake doesn't get gas on instinct though so i continued to buy it for him. $20 lasts him 7 days. And he only eats dog food 2-3x a week so it's not too bad.

So i decided to try Merrick since it's cheaper and still a good brand of food. Merrick sits fine with jake and doesn't make him gassy. But it made Caroline's throw up. Even though she had less then 1/4 a cup of merrick in her original bowl of dehydrated raw. She threw up all over. Kinda gross.

So i just kinda gave up on that whole front of kibble and have stuck with dehydrated raw + oatmeal. It's not balanced but i'm working on fading dehydrted raw into home cooked if the Bignaturals.com dehydrated raw someone recommended to me doesn't work. That other brand is doable since $70 a bag will feed her for a month. That's doable for me.

Thanks again for everyone's replies!

Sweetie is doing much better now.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2