GO!

Is it safe to give my pooch coconut oil?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cookie

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 5:43am PST 
I really rely on all you here because you are all a wealth of knowledge. I have given Cookie some coconut oil because he wuvs it so much. I started mixing a tiny bit into his morning bowl to make it more appealing. Does anyone else give their pooch coconut oil?
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 5:47am PST 
Yes, totally fine.

Don't want to overdue it as it can be rich for some dogs, but I use it as an anti-inflammatory for their hips/joints and thus far have been pretty satisfied with the results.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 8:57am PST 
Mulder - do you use it in place of glucosamine or with it? Is it used more for preventative?

Maci has weak knees...nothing wrong has happened like a tear, etc but would love the right combination to keep it from getting worse.
[notify]

Xena

What don't kill- me makes me- stronger

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 10:19am PST 
My guys get coconut oil in there food great for the coat and joints.
http://www.petside.com/article/coconut-oil-miracle-jar-dogs
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 12:33pm PST 
I use tropical traditions gold coconut oil I buy the gallon bucket of it..

I use it for some cooking and in my smoothies.

Saya enjoys coconut oil so I give her tiny bit.

She is about 20lbs and she gets two teaspoons once a day.

I think I saw somewhere it's one teaspoon per 10lb of weight.

I don't give it for the omega I give it for some other things..

Some people tell me to not give it as it doesn't have much or any omega, but that's what fish or salmon oil is for..

I think it's good in small amounts for dogs.

Saya gets it every so often not daily. She does fine with it. work up to whatever amount is good for your dog.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 9:38pm PST 
I use it daily in addition glucosamine as a preventative myself, plus all it's other health benefits.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 1:52am PST 
Coconut oil would be really healthy for your dog but should be consumed in little amount. It has the healthy benefits that your dog needs.
[notify]
Hoss

Hoss the Boss

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 6:06am PST 
Hoss gets about a tsp 3 times a week and my cat gets it also. It is great for their coat and very healthy for them. Both, even my finicky cat love it. They both get to share a can of sardines a few times a week.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 7:44am PST 
Maci &- Harley-

Sorry, didn't see this! I use it with the g/c. I was using super high amounts of the g/c for a long time, but my doggie chiropractor (who is a huge homeopath) suggested cutting back and adding the coconut oil. They were getting somewhere around 1400/1200 g/c prior to adding in the oil, now they get about 500mgs a day with two table spoons of the oil (they are 65-75 lbs).
[notify]
Chocolate

Benjamin Button- of dogs

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 11:13pm PST 
Absolutely, virgin coconut oil is preferable.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2