GO!

Pug losing weight

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 6:29pm PST 
A year or so ago my pug was around 18lbs which is her max weight because she is small. The vet said she could lose some weight. I changed their food to a grain free due to her allergies and my other dogs gluten intolerance and she started losing weight. Bad thing is, she's lost too much I think! I just weighed her and she's at around 13.6lbs I can see her little ribs when she stands up. She's on natures variety instinct (was on salmon) now eating the LID turkey. She gets 1/4 c twice a day. My 45-50lb dog (who needs to lose weifht) only gets a 1/2 cup 2xs day and isn't really losing. What's the deal with the food? What should I do? Should I be worried she's so skinny? I think I just need to increase their food. The NV website says 3/4 cup a day for that flavor, I was still feeding the amount I did with the salmon. Haha hmmm maybe I should have done the feeding guide before coming to you guys ....

Edited by author Fri Feb 22, '13 6:46pm PST

[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 7:36pm PST 
If you are concerned you could run her by the vet for a quick check. My min pin x Zoe was 28lbs and the vet said she could loss a few pounds, so I put her on a diet...she is now 19lbs and prefect smile I do feel sometimes she is too skinny, but the vet says she looks great. We also were feeding NVI and Zoe eats 1/4c twice a day...but if she eats more than that she starts gaining weight back...but my 2 little ones tend to feed the dogs more because they are constantly wanting to "train" them..the dogs enjoy it because they get lots of food( we use their dog food). The feeding guidelines are just that, so if you feel your pup could benefit from more food, up it slightly and see if she looks better that way. I prefer to keep my pups on the skinnier side..I can feel most of their ribs especially when they are laying on their side. I do weigh my pups often, most I can weigh at home so I can keep an eye on the 2 that gain really fast...I also have two cats that have been battling the bulge..I feel like that are skin and bones but the vet says still another pound or two to go frown they went from 20lbs to 10lbs.

Was the weight loss really fast? I think Zoe lost hers over a years time, maybe a bit more than that. I know that cats has been 2 yrs now. I would be more concerned if she lost it really quickly.
[notify]
Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 6:33am PST 
Well I know that 13lbs for a pug is too small. 14 is her minimum. When she went to the vet last September she was 14.5 and the vet said she was perfect. She lost the weight in a year. I'm upping her food a little and we shall see. She's not just skinny she's acting like she's starving and so is my other pup
[notify]

Kloppers

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 8:57am PST 
I would say upping her food a bit would be a good idea, it shouldn't be to bad to put on a pound.

Also just to add..all my animals act like they are starving..dogs, cats, rabbit...I can not free feed a single one because they would eat themselves sick. I put their food down and it is eaten very quickly...usually before I have food in the last bowl the first one fed is done.

The 1/4 c was probably perfect for losing the weight but she needs some more calories to maintain it. I would try like 1/3 in the morning and 1/4 at night, and see if that helps her better maintain the weight.
[notify]