GO!

Fromm users--which formula would be best for my small breed/young dog...?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 12:30pm PST 
I am thinking of switching to Fromm, but am confused which formula. While I would prefer grain-free, the flavors of the Fromm Four Star do not appeal to us (us being me and the dog). I was looking at Gold..is that a good choice...? I guess if not getting grain-free due to the lack of appeal in the flavors, I guess I may as well try the Gold Small Breed Adult...?

any suggestions...?
how are their treats...? I am thinking of maybe the Parmesan...Are their treats good/healthy/etc....? (as much as treats can be..BOL! )

Frankie will eat just about anything. The only flavors he seems to not care for and not wolf down are fish and duck and potato types..he picks at them..not tripping on the game one much either...

I ask because Fromm is not something I can get locally, I have to drive a good distance and hope that they have what formula I am looking for or order it on-line (although I would really rather pick it up in-person).

Fromm said they no longer send out free samples. The lady I talked to said she will mail a coupon and they have a guarantee that if the dog does not like it, they will refund with the receipt and upc code. But that is a lot of hassle. But nice that they do offer it.

Thanks for any help! smile
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 11:48am PST 
what is it about the grain free lines that does not appeal? My dogs enjoyed all of them. They've got a really good line, even if they put less in the bags than with the gold. The problem with gold is that the protein is lower than in the grain free
[notify]
River Dancer

Born to Wiggle

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 4:53pm PST 
My dog eats all the grain free flavors no problem.
[notify]

Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 6:33pm PST 
Fromm is a great food. Its made in WI. You can get a free sample from K9cuisine.com

Fromm free sample
[notify]
Stella

Waiting for- Treats

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 8:06pm PST 
Frankie, I switched to Fromm Puppy Gold for my dog and noticed she had less stinky gas afterward. I recently moved to Fromm Puppy Large Breed since she's at 55 pounds.

I've been following the feeding guidelines, but 4 1/3 cups a day does seem like a lot!
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 8:23pm PST 
I'm not sure what is unappealing about the GF line, but better in the Gold?

The Gold is like a duck/chicken formula essentially... just go with Gamebird.

That said, its whatever, all of the Fromm foods are good IMO, I just don't really see the logic in not wanting any of the GF if that's what you'd prefer.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 9:40pm PST 
I totally prefer the grain-free formulas, but from past experience, Frankie does not care for the flavors they offer in the grain-free formulas. We had the New Balance duck and sweet potato treats, he did not like them, and other flavors that are in the grain-free formulas that he did not really care for.

But I suppose I can just try one of the GF formulas and see how it goes.
He is not so picky that he will not eat something, he just will be very slow about it.

Thanks, all! way to go
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 11:48pm PST 
fortunately, if you can find a distributor, they're not stingy with the samples! Maybethe Fromm website would give you some if you asked
[notify]
Maggie

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 9:23am PST 
We haven't tried the grain free line, but my dogs loved the Duck & Sweet Potato and the Pork & Applesauce. My dogs also like almost any chicken based foods. Their least favorite is fish based foods. We have been feeding Horizon Legacy for awhile now and really like it.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 9:41am PST 
Foxxy-I did call the Fromm folks a couple days ago bc I wanted more info on their food (they were very helpful!) and they said they do not mail out samples anymore but would send me a coupon. The coupon has no expiration date and the lady said if the dog does not like the food, I could mail them the receipt and UPC code for a refund.

Maggie, you are soo right!!
I found an AWESOME place, not close (of course!), it is a good half-hour away, but DEF worth the trip!! They carry the Fromm, and as you say, they were very generous with the samples!! I ended up getting the Gold (bc I had asked them a couple days prior to see if they carried Gold and figured I may as well take the one they had for me) but I think I have a sample of every possible flavor!! I am very impressed, and although this place is a bit of a drive, it is also a ver nice place, very nice people working there, and it is a pretty new place, the lady working there said they only opened about a month ago. But it is an AWESOME place, they carry predominantly Fromm, and I think New Balance and California Naturals, maybe one other line..? They also are pretty limited with dog shampoos, they have the Nootie line and some other 'organic' shampoo line..but they seem to carry good products, so I hope they do well!!

Sorry to get off-topic, just very excited for this place!!

Hoping Frankie does well with this food!! way to go
[notify]