GO!

Sick of the dog food snobs!!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 3 of 10: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 9:36pm PST 
Another consideration...without ranting, premium pet food is an industry. Premium pet food is a status symbol. The number of humans in developed countries that go hungry. Yet people who call themselves rational life forms want to duke it out over PET FOOD? That we can have companion animals and keep them fed at all should make us all darn happy. Worse still, our companion animals are so well fed that we have DIET PET FOOD. If you own stock in Blue Buffalo you want it to sell. If you are in the pet food retail industry, you need to make a profit. If you have the disposible income and it makes you feel happy to feed your dog premium food then wonderful, but no it doesn't make you a better owner or a better person necessarily.
As humans we spend disposible income on what we consider meaningful. One of my weaknesses is overpriced cologne. But do I look down on folks who wear Eau D' Dollar Store? No of course not, so if you feed your doggie holistic, no grain, pure raw, hand processed Kobe beef and organic sweet potato blend and you see me buying Kibbles and Bits...
rant over, thank you for letting me vent
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 9:39pm PST 
Sounds to me like you are not so much sick of dog food snobs, but of people offering rude, unsolicited "advice". wink

I'll admit that I have never been offered unsolicited advice when it comes to dog food (and it wouldn't go well if I was), and the only time I've heard the "kibble is animal abuse" line is online, and my response was something along the lines of, "well, if that's what you consider abuse, then you live under a rock...".
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 9:44pm PST 
I have one dog that's allergic to flax and can't have any bones because they make her vomit. I have another that's allergic to beef. I bring in fosters all the time who have been living on crap their whole lives and can't handle rich foods. For years I fed Pedigree and had great luck with it. Never met a dog that wouldn't eat it, my dogs did just fine on it and I could get it anywhere, anytime. I got yelled at in stores numerous times for abusing my dogs. I have now switched them to a different food to better meet my seniors nutritional needs. Now I get yelled at because they should be on raw. Any idea what it costs to feed 4 German Shepherds?
[notify]

Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 10:00pm PST 
I do highly recommend raw a lot, but if someone can't feed it, they can't feed it, so I help them find another food that fits their dog and them. Just today someone at the vets with Bella who is in training to be a service dog. Since people see me training her and I don't look disabled they assume I'm a trainer and ask me lots of training questions and what not. Some asked me what to do about their dog that inhaled their kibble. I recommended raw to them and told them all of the pros about it, but also said that if that wasn't an option they can try some things with kibble to make him eat slower. Like treat balls, toys, throwing the food on the floor so it's spread out, or hiding small piles around the room. If someone doesn't have the time or money to feed the top of the line foods, I'm not going to push the issue, though I feel that people should feed the best they can and be educated about what they are going to be feeding their pet for it's whole life as it's important. The only person I've given a lip full about food to is the person I live with. He feeds his cats the cheapest bag he can grab (They have the money for the best possible food) and has no idea what he is feeding his cats and told me they "Are used to the food so it doesn't matter" when I gave him the cheap easy option of another food and explained why it would be better for him cats he told me, and I quote "You can feed them that, I don't care, but I'm not paying for it" naughty
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 10:01pm PST 
Sometimes when you tell somebody the dog food they feed is bad they get overly defensive. I will tell people certain dogs foods are bad. I will not look down on someone who can't afford to feed their dogs better foods. Some dog foods are priced very high for the quality and are absolutely horrible for dogs. Example I did get on to my sister for feeding Beneful. She does not feed it anymore and is very satisfied with the changes in her dogs.

I am not feeding the best or expensive kibble. I am feeding the best I can with my knowledge and budget. I do share my pet food knowledge.

Edited by moderator Wed Jan 2, '13 4:27pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 8:11am PST 
I try not to snob it up, but I put a lot of effort into evaluating Abner's food if I make a switch.

I'll cop to it! When people say "Oh, he's just a dog." or "I mean, it's all the same anyway." or "It's a waste of money" in relation to the justification of feeding a low-quality kibble I do judge a bit. To me that says "I'm uneducated and would like to stay that way" and "I don't really care about my dogs that much" with stress on the latter.

We had a cat on low-quality food forever because I had no idea there was even a difference. She ended up developing struvite crystals and had expeeeeensive surgery. So, to me, it's worth it. It was her that caused the pet food switch.
[notify]
Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 9:00am PST 
I feel this way too! Seriously people. Be grateful the person is feeding their dogs at all and not starving them to death.

I feed many dogs. I can't do raw or Orijen, one bag would set me back on my car payments!!!!!!!!
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 6:45pm PST 
I get not being able to afford the best high quality kibbles, or raw, or even having dogs that DON'T do well on it. I get that. I don't judge when it's for those reasons.

I DO judge when it's as Abner's owner said. When people REFUSE to be educated.

My MIL actually said to me one day, "Well.. my Beneful is just as good as the expensive crap you feed."

No. My dog has more frequent seizures on that. It's NOT as good for HIM as what I feed. So I feed what he does well on. Plain and simple and I always will. If that food was Beneful, fine. But chemicals, dyes and preservatives often trigger seizures, so I won't feed foods with those in them.

Does that mean I can afford raw all the time? No. Does that mean I can afford Orijen? Absolutely not. Too expensive. Actually, I feed Acana and I buy it from a specific store so I get it for cheaper, bol.

I also work in a pet health/nutrition store though, so I get to educate people all day. But whether or not they WANT to know is different than unsolicited advice. Most often, I'm all about customer service. If they want to know something, I tell them. If they only want a specific thing and feed a brand of food we don't carry, I don't judge and I help them find what they want instead.

The advice I don't like is the advice that people such as my MIL gave me. Basically telling me to feed a cheaper food, as if I can't afford to give my dogs what I do, and as if she had a right to butt her nose into my business. Not to mention the fact that when I informed her that Beneful triggered Charlie's seizures, her response was, "Dogs can have seizures?" silenced
[notify]
Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 8:26pm PST 
I have to admit that I am a dog food snob, that is for my own dogs. I am a Vet tech and see dogs and cats who present with problems with digestive problems or skin/coat/allergy problems. We always inquire into what foods the dog or cat is eating as with any pet foods can certainly cause problems. If the owner is feeding a food loaded with meats that are not labeled with what kind of meat (meat by products etc.) or corn/wheat or soy and a ton of flavors and dyes we will ask if they could start to trasition to a better ingredient food. most of the time the owners will do this and really start to research foods on their own, which is what we want.
I do know that what works for one dog/cat does not work for another. People may or may not be able to afford to buy raw or the more expensive foods, especially in these hard economical times.
I have to hand it to people who do try do their best in taking care of their pets, that to me is more important than what they feed.
If people ask me what I feed (which I get all the time) I will tell them raw and if they are interested I will elaborate. But there again I always tell people to research, research, research and once again what works for one may not be right for another.
Raw works for my dogs, always has so that is what I choose to feed with occasional meals of home cooked and Acana. Some raw feeders get after me for mixing it around but hey, it works for us.
Just the fact that people come to these forums shows that they care enough to get out there and air their "dog questions".dog
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 8:30pm PST 
Yes, I totally agree. I've met some of these real live dog food snobs that I wish they would just mind their own business and just stop getting involved with our dogs. Don't pay any attention to them, you won't get anything out of those people anyway.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 10: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10