GO!

I need...

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Alanna

Play With Me!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 2:37pm PST 
I agree, Hadley. I keep Alanna at a thing weight because of a medical problem she has (genetic predisposition towards carrying too much fat in her blood) and most people think I’m starving her! I use coconut oil on my dogs whenever they get a flea or other insect bite. I’ve never actually given it to them internally. Rice is not at all bad for dogs. It’s not like you are feeding her Twinkies! Rice is high in manganese, which increases energy and is a powerful antioxidant. There are a few nuts that can kill a dog in large amounts, so I don’t recommend giving a dog nuts as part of their daily diet. Rice helps put lean weight on a dog, not fat. Beef heart is very nutritious, too. Carbohydrates are not bad for dogs. They are a source of easily obtained energy. By the way, humans NEED carbohydrates in their diet for muscle tissue.
[notify]
Dave

Dr. Dave Bowman

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 6:06am PST 
Here is a good recipe for satin balls:

5 pounds ground beef
5 cups cooked sweet potato
5 cups cooked peas
2-½ cups cooked broccoli
¾ cup salmon oil
¾ cup flaxseed oil
6 egg yolks
5 packets gelatin
2-½ tablespoons kelp powder

Mix up, form balls, freeze, and feed as a treat/supplement.

I would stay away from any recipe for satin balls that calls for grains and other fillers.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2