GO!

How do I unspoil my boys?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 10:23am PST 
Here's the story. I cook chicken or ground beef with green beans or carrots and mix it with their dry food. Well I'm really getting tired of doing it and Huck doesn't seem to be loosing any weight by me doing it which is why I started to begin with, to cut down on dry dog food and give him better food. Problem is, I give them each a little bit of dry in the morning before I leave for work and they each eat with no problem. At night, if I put their bowles down with no extra goodies in it, they look at me as if to say what's this crap, and walk away, so I'll mix in the home cooked and they eat it right up. How can I get them off it? Any suggestions?
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 10:29am PST 
Tough love. Leave the bowl down for 15 minutes, if they don't eat they don't eat. Don't give any food or treats till the next feeding. Lily gets picky if she gets extras sometimes. A little tough love and she is back eating her regular food in no time.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 9:30am PST 
Well, they are off people food for a week now and eating great. I still give them 1/2 can of moist food just for the gravy. I was going to buy beef or chicken broth to flavor up the kibble but after reading the ingredients, it contains alot of salt. Left overs get fed to them seperate from their dinner.
[notify]

Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 5:04pm PST 
Hucky, you can very easily and cheaply make a sodium-free broth for them. I know you're trying to wean them off the homecooked in part because you're tired of cooking - but broth is sooo easy, it's almost effortless. Just buy some cheap bones (beef marrow bones, pork necks bones, whatever is cheap), throw them in a pot of water, and boil for a few hours. You can make a big pot of broth and freeze some for later use.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 7:11am PST 
Thanks Hazel, I'm going to try that, my husband told me the same thing.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 10:02pm PST 
"Tough love. Leave the bowl down for 15 minutes, if they don't eat they don't eat. Don't give any food or treats till the next feeding."

I've tried the same thing with my dog when she refused to eat nothing but her favorite food, but then I found out that she loves to eat Quaker Oats too so instead of those other foods, I give her that in the morning. Now she's practically getting used to these things. Sometimes she couldn't even wait to get her oatmeal. happy dance
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 9:58am PST 
Oatmeal for breakfast? That's a lot of fiber. I only feed a small amount of cooked oatmeal to my dogs if I need to feed something bland for an upset tummy.

Edited by author Tue Dec 11, '12 10:05am PST

[notify]