GO!

Is ToTW really the best?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 9:16pm PST 
I have heard amazing things about Taste of the Wild. It's what I've been planning to feed my future dog for quite some time, but I wonder what other foods are comparable to it?
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 11:11pm PST 
I feed Acana, which is the cheaper line of Orijen, which is the best of the best. Frankly, though, the best food is the one your dog eats, and thrives on.smile
[notify]
Chico

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 2:35am PST 
It depends, as it was stated above. The best food is the food that your dog thrives on.

Having said that, there are many high quality dog foods out there. The best ones being raw foods. If you're looking for high quality then I would suggest Orijen, Horizon, and ZiwiPeak.

I might switch Chico to ZiwiPeak after he finishes his Regional Red bag. ZiwiPeak is a dehydrated food, ready to serve out of the bag.
[notify]

Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 7:42am PST 
A lot of folks say it's the cheapest of the best. May not necessarily the best out there, but a good, quality food way to go
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 7:50am PST 
TOTW is cost effective, good price for non grain kibble with a reasonable amount of fat and protein.

Best of the best is a well thought out fresh food diet, raw better than cooked but of course that is time and space consuming and can be expensive. A good canned food has more protein and fat and moisture than dried but cost more than cooked or raw food but takes no time to feed. Best of the dried foods is Ziwi Peak and that sort of thing. Dehydrated stuff or maybe something like a Honest Kitchen mix in where you add fresh meats is probably better than the dehydrated foods otherwise THK ranks a bit lower than ZP in my opinion. Both those types cost a lot. Then come kibbles with more meat content than meals and no plant proteins like pea, potato, corn or rice protein that is used to bump up protein content in kibbles these days.

TOTW is cost effective and a good value. No plant protein concentrates and some meat rather than all meals. The company has had issues with recalls, might consider that point. I would rather feed more protein and if I fed TOTW I would definitely mix in some canned food or fresh food topper to moisten and increase the protein and fat.

And as posters wrote above the best food is the one your dog thrives on! My dog did okay on good quality kibble, adored but I didn't see any changes in condition on home cooked chicken and rice and is thriving on a raw diet. I failed at feeding a high protein no grain kibble and didn't see any improvement in his condition feeding through 2 enormous bags.
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 11:12am PST 
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to do some research on the suggested brands.
[notify]
Sugar

Ooh ooh, can we- PLEASE go on a- walk!

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 5:31pm PST 
Our dogs eat TOTW. I rotate between all the flavors, and they do well on them all. They are eating High Prairie right now, but they like Pacific Stream the best. Sugar's allergies have disappeared, and for almost 12, she has a lot of energy. My only complaint is that if I don't feed them yogurt for a few days, they start to get very gassy.

I don't think it is the *best*, but it's a very good quality food for a very reasonable price. Only $34 here for a large bag. It works for us!

Edited by author Wed Nov 21, '12 5:38pm PST

[notify]
Houston

Sticks, sticks,- did someone say- STICKS!!

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 6:15pm PST 
We have been feeding Orijen for about two years and are very very happy with it. The dogs LOVE it!!
[notify]
Monnie

Spreading Smiles- As A Tribute For- Lexi

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '12 8:43pm PST 
I eat Wellness Core and do very well on it. I have the Ocean Kibble..It is exspensive but I thrive on it and only go poo once a dayapplause
[notify]

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 1:53am PST 
1. Pedigree
2. Ol Roy
3. Kibbles & Bits
4. Purina Dog Chow
5. Iamssmile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3